High Mileage motor/High RPMs

KVD

A buddy of mine is turnin his old 96 into a pull truck. It will be a 2.8 truck but this is a "budget Build" for sure. So we kinda been thinkin bout somethin here lately.The truck has 246K on the motor. Truck runs goods and everything but heres my question.

Ok when you want a motor to turn some Rs you build it a lil loose, so with 246k i'd say this motor is a lil loose.

Now for the question, how many RPMs is gonna be alright?

I mean a know what ya need of what they say you need for 5k but will 4000 to like 4300k be alight??

I mean like me were talkin bout, if need be it would be beter to rebuild it than turn it, break a rod and have to a have a whole motor.

We have a buddy who has a 95 cummins pull truck. 155k on the stock bottom end, and he leaves the line at 5300 and goes down the track at 5000k. All stock bottom end, I mean the pan has never been off, he says it will be fine and my buddy is really wantin to turn 5 but I said I thought if he held 4000k down the track that would be a good place to start.

There was a truck at the last dyno even that had a 300k mile old stock bottom end and it was spinning 5k rpms with 3 stages of nitrous and laid down 898hp and only blew a headgasket.

Yeah I mean gettin the fuel isn't gonna be a problem, done got the turbo just need to figure this out, o and more money.

4100 is the bad news number but I have watched my tach needle dive into the unknown many of times!
Brandon

I've been running about 4800 rpm for a couple years with 350,000+ miles. Probably going to rebuild the whole engine within the next year though just to be safe.

I heard you can hang some of them big heavy nutz off your hitch to cancel out all the bad vibs...

It must work because I see them all the time...

Says lots of people, who build the big HP. I don't think you see the issues at the 700-800 hp range. They come out on the big hp 1200 or so. Ask the mod guys a few years ago.

I read that too I think on TDR some time ago but after seeing several trucks exceed 4100 I think it would be a good Mythbusters show:hehe:

Well he plans on buyin the damper, just not into studdin the bottm end and everything right now.

Biggest thing is this truck will be built as like mid pack 2.8 truck then as money and experience come it will probably get rebuilt, nicer parts, you know the good stuff. Just wantin to make sure we can make it that far before we need a whole motor.

I've heard so many different "death numbers" on the forums in the past, I didn't realize there was an actual number...

Im kinda in the same boat. Ive got 280K on mine. Trying to figure out if I can keep the bottom end togeather till winter at least, turnin 4500 revs.

I remember in diesel power a few months ago they had a dragster with a p pump 24 valve that did not even run a balancer.:aiwebs_016::aiwebs_016: