High rail pressure with dirty fuel filter?

randallp84

The other day I was playing around with my buddy who owns a '99 Firebird with the LS1 and I noticed that I was pegging the 30k rail pressure gauge at high speeds (95+) in 6th gear. The gauge had never read that high before.

I also noticed that a couple of times at those speeds it cut out like it hit a governor (my truck has no governor because of the Smarty). It was instantaneous like all fuel flow into the engine suddenly stopped and it only lasted a fraction of a second.

I was thinking it could be the PRV popping off since my rail pressure was so high, but then I got to thinking that I couldn't remember the last time I changed my fuel filter (stock filter in stock location). So, I purchased a new fuel filter and installed it and now the rail pressure is back to normal and I haven't felt it cut out like that again.

It seems the new filter resolved the issue, but that doesn't make any sense to me. Why would I get HIGHER rail pressure with a dirty filter? Can anybody offer some insight?

Fuel starvation pump trying to meet demand. I've seen this on trucks running on empty too!

I was thinking maybe something along those lines. So do you think the cutting out was the PRV popping off or the rail being drained?