High Timing (20+) 12v guys come in!

NickTF

Single turbo turd.
Guys, i've bumped my timing up to 25 degrees (believe it was 7.12mm on my 215 pump) and noticed the truck really rattles now!!! Are you guys having the same experience? I don't mean a rattle in the sense of something sounding like it's going to come apart, I mean something that's very noticeable when going across a bridge or driving by any thing large that reflects sound. I can really hear the motor now making it's own noise even with the 4" stack behind my head in the cab of the truck!!!

Yes that is normal over 20 you will start to hear a louder "fuel Knock".
If your not O-ringed I would be careful about foing over 20*.

Im at 24* with my 913 pump and its so smoooothe its almost criminal.

Im glad my motor dosen't rattle to much im way to anal about sounds.

Could the motor noise be timing mixed with what kind of injectors are in it? spray pattern etc..?

I am o-ringed but with a stock gasket so probably more compression then most with o-rings, albeit a small amount.

My motor runs smoother with the additional timing, just makes noises described above. Could definitely be an off shoot of my injectors hard to say. Hope to see some high timing/hp 12valves at the Cecil event this Saturday to hear what some of these trucks sound like to compare mine against. I swear if these trucks moded were more common around this area I wouldn't be asking all these questions on here:p:Cheer:

If you were asking what kind of injectors so far as I know they are the stock 145* angle and 5 x 16s.

If your not O-ringed I would be careful about foing over 20*.

i read in another post that the marine 370 comes timed at 24* from the factory, are they o-ringed? or does the thicker gasket on them make up the difference.

Not quite the same but I've noticed on my truck that the difference in timing rattle between a drag comp and a TST/Smarty is huge. The drag comp has a lot more timing rattle to it. But I have no clue how much the timing is increased. So I'd say what your hearing is probably normal with that kind of timing.

You don't want to sound like tyler's truck. That's the sound of lost hp...:poke:
But he'll find it soon.

Lot a ton of timing experiance but, i did pick up 1 tenth and 3 mph in the 1/8th this past weekend going from 21* to 25.5*, didnt notice any more rattle or harder to crank, i mainly did this for a reduction in egt's and not sure if it really helped there or not. It is hard to notice the guages when going 102+ in such a short distance, i did notice the fire out of the stack seemed to be higher though, closer to a foot now probally when it was 3-5" before? The 60' was all about the same though so i quess it didnt just kill the bottom end that some report theyve noticed...

Tyler has a 24V "BGBLDODGE" everytime he touches his truck I think he looses HP.

Yeah. That would be me. It smokes and sounds like it has power. But that's about it. LOL

i read in another post that the marine 370 comes timed at 24* from the factory, are they o-ringed? or does the thicker gasket on them make up the difference.

It would be interesting to know what the normal operating RPM is for that engine

I believe I've been on a boat using the maring cummins motor when younger and want to say it cruised at 2300ish rpms.

yep thats what high timing sounds like. knock seems to be more apparent on the 215 pumps than the 180's.

Nick...
I know no one has asked but I will.......
What good does all the timing,big injectors and power parts do for a truck that does not have the proper tranny to lay it down?????

It reminds me of an old saying...
Why go to a gun fight when your only equipped with a knife?.

Yeah. That would be me. It smokes and sounds like it has power. But that's about it.

BgBlDodge...
Don't feel like your the only one in that ship as there are many others also.

Mine is set at 25* and it kinda sounds like a 24v at times.

I was thinking the same thing, they have always had a more agressive sound in stock form to me then the 12v.

Ok guys, it sounds like this is the culprit!

Andy, you sir are CORRECT lol!!! I am of the understading that I need a trans like no other trust me. I have many other things to pay for right now besides truck parts (like most here I'm sure) and will have to hold off until I can shed some debt. Hope to do it sooner then later! :nail:

So in that same tranny question thought do you think a shot of *nx* before the tranny or after:p

high timing + nitrous = Not so good. That is going to make extreme cylinder pressure and have a higher risk of popping your HG.

high timing + nitrous = Not so good. That is going to make extreme cylinder pressure and have a higher risk of popping your HG.

Not when there's no load against the motor via tranny slipping like hot knife through butter lol:p

No but seriously do guys often turn down the timing when running shots good for about 100hp?