High Timing (20+) 12v guys come in!

BigYellowIron, question how does yours start with 32*, is it noticably slower to fire? The most ive put in it yet is the 25.5 thats in it now, and i noticed it picked up on the big end. I know at some point they start the get harder to fire and some ether is typically used at that point. Any ideas about where that is, im sure its going to depend also on static comp. ratios and so on.... Thanks

Bottom end is sluggish, but is very tollerable on the street, no lag with the n2o on. Yes stock compression with a +20 head gasket.
I pull with the truck but still drive it on the street. Its not my DD but has great street manners.

BigYellowIron, question how does yours start with 32*, is it noticably slower to fire? The most ive put in it yet is the 25.5 thats in it now, and i noticed it picked up on the big end. I know at some point they start the get harder to fire and some ether is typically used at that point. Any ideas about where that is, im sure its going to depend also on static comp. ratios and so on.... Thanks

Mine cranks for maybe 2 sec before it fires. I have a 13mm pump with a quick rate cam. I could notice a little harder to start.

if your going to running 32* timing I wouldnt be worried about how it starts. Ive seen 30*. horrible spool-up, runs choppy, clatters and hazes,,,IMO

Last edited:
Why?

if your going to running 32* timing I wouldnt be worried about how it starts. Ive seen 30*. horrible spool-up, runs choppy, clatters and hazes,,,IMO

Why wouldnt somone be concerned how it cranks, thats part of it. When i saw his quote i just thought it was odd that at 32* it still cranks nice and has some street manners? I was just curious About where the timing is when they get hard to crank and some have to use starting fluid to bust them off. Nothing anyone would obviously want on the street but nice to know for racing, a racer always likes to know his limits..... and some of them from past experienced people is a nice thing, learning:doh: from others mistakes and so forth

If its not a pulling truck and just a street driver then i think 17-20* is plenty. Street manners only get worse, cylinder pressures are higher, you sacrifice bottom end power, more haze at idle. If my truck was a daily driver i'd bring the timing back down to 18*. Just my .02cents though.

And definitely save your money towards a tranny before you go to puttin nitrous on that thing:doh: Theres just absolutely no point in it. If I was a bettin man i'd say that a truck with a transmission that would hold, a set of governor springs, 0 plate and some mild injectors would beat your truck in a race even with all the stuff you have done.

And definitely save your money towards a tranny before you go to puttin nitrous on that thing:doh: Theres just absolutely no point in it. If I was a bettin man i'd say that a truck with a transmission that would hold, a set of governor springs, 0 plate and some mild injectors would beat your truck in a race even with all the stuff you have done.

Yeah, but it wouldn't sound as cool:woohoo::p. Don't worry man, my next mod will be a tranny:lolly:

Thanks man, 30* will prob. be my next timing bump when ever that might be.. i will get some more passes under my belt at the current 25.5 though, to later compair. Have you personally noticed the drop in egt's with each timing adj. that most people talk about? I didnt really notice a change from 18 to 21 and now at 25.5* maybe a little but hard to watch the guage going down the track to be real honest, its still to hot at 1800+ just in 660'. My HTT manifold has another place in it for a pyro, wonder if anyone makes a Temp. adjustable warning light set up? This would be a good idea i think, put in a temp chip or dial in your prefered danger temp, and a warning light go off in your face.......thoughts

Some arent as fortunate as you.

Factors of high compression:

Advanced timing
water/meth
Fuel
Nitrous

I have set up several trucks similar to this and no sealing problems as of yet, I have always thought I was lucky but anymore Im re thinking that.

You do prob. have you head machined for the rings though correct? I dont. Just installed a new .20 and 12mm studs thats it, ive re torq them a few times, thier at 135 not 125ft.lbs. have you ran that 30+* on a set up like mine,?? Thanks

my truck is at 20*, and it sounds almost stock at idle, but you put it in gear, and it starts to sound like a 24v. i like it alot. mine does haze just a little bit at idle, but the FASS has something to do with that, other than that it runs great.

wes

Thanks man, 30* will prob. be my next timing bump when ever that might be.. i will get some more passes under my belt at the current 25.5 though, to later compair. Have you personally noticed the drop in egt's with each timing adj. that most people talk about? I didnt really notice a change from 18 to 21 and now at 25.5* maybe a little but hard to watch the guage going down the track to be real honest, its still to hot at 1800+ just in 660'. My HTT manifold has another place in it for a pyro, wonder if anyone makes a Temp. adjustable warning light set up? This would be a good idea i think, put in a temp chip or dial in your prefered danger temp, and a warning light go off in your face.......thoughts

Dont let timing be your only escape from tempratures. Maybe you need an external gate, or more air properly wastegated. Id leave it at 25.