HO Long block Vs. SO Long Block

Mopar Man

Ok I have found 2 Long blocks within 100 miles of me. Both are NON 53 blocks with around 80k miles. One is a 01 HO motor & the other is a 99 SO motor. I know the 01-02 HO motors have 17:1 Compreshion & the SO have 16.3:1. So my question is witch motor would be better to build? Its not going to be a race motor or anything like that. Its just going to be my daily driver that I would like to do a few more performance mods to. Seems like the higher compreshion would be good for a little more power seeing how im not going to be running extreamly high boost. Your input please. TIA

Whichever one is cheaper? Assuming everything else is equal that is... the small amount of extra compression SHOULD make more power but probably not enough to notice. Should start easier in cold weather too, but we are talking in milliseconds ;) Less compression is less strain on the internals though... I would still go with whoever is cheaper

There both the same price. As of right now im leaning tords the 01 HO long block.

The H.O. piston bowl is 2mm narrower.
Is that what they did to raise the compreshion? BTW after talking to the engine builder Im now leaning tords the SO motor with the 16.3:1 compreshion.

Do you all agree that the SO long block with the lower compreshion would be a better motor for me to build for my truck? Remember this is not a race motor its only my daily driver that I am building up a little bit. At first I was thinking that a little more compreshion would be a good thing and make a little more power. Please give me your input guys thanks.

Ok thanks for the advice. & please anyone else with input please keep it coming.

The H.O. piston bowl is 2mm narrower.

I never realized that... between that and the different VP pump I bet thats what makes the 10hp difference on the HP rating between an HO and SO. Interesting...