Hole in #4?

BUICKpowerSIX

So my buddy dropped his truck off at a shop (don't think I can say) to get a new infector and egr fixed as well as a new turbo. Well when they were done, they started her and blew the dipstick out. Guess they are tellen him he has a hole in #4. He is towing it to his town where his mechanic is ganna tear it down and let us know.

So has anyone ever ran into anything like this? I about crapped myself when he told me this.

He has an afe, 4" turbo back, had a quadzilla but just recently got an sct. Thats all he has for mods before it went down. He only had the sct for maybe 1000 miles before his truck took a crap.

Thanks.

Hmmm... I'm not really well versed in the dynamics of a diesel engine... but if you had a "hole" in an injector... would that not just cause a large ruckus in the entire engine? If it was big enough fuel would jsut leak out and maybe blow past the cylinders. I dont see how the dipstick..located in the bowls of a 15qt oil pan would just shoot out. Was it an actual diesel shop that you took this to.. and not just some average joe? Did they run a compression test?

I am guessing the "hole" is in the piston. With a hole in the piston the crankcase pressure would be out of control and that is why the dipstick came out.

I am guessing with the SCT he just literally melted a hole in the piston. More power = more fuel = more heat.

Just a guess? I am guessing he did not have gauges or he wasn't looking at them.

I am guessing the "hole" is in the piston. With a hole in the piston the crankcase pressure would be out of control and that is why the dipstick came out.

I am guessing with the SCT he just literally melted a hole in the piston. More power = more fuel = more heat.

Just a guess? I am guessing he did not have gauges or he wasn't looking at them.

Never heard of anyone having piston problems with SCT or any other turner for that matter.
Curious as to why you assume it was the SCT that caused the problem????

The hole is in the piston ( we think). Engine should be getting tore down.

No I dont think the sct had anything to do with it, just giving as much info as I can. You never know what might be an important piece of info.

The shop is pretty darn good. Though more dodge guys use him.

An SCT could easily burn a hole in a piston..........You put it in the HOT setting and keep her pinned it will bury thy pyro and melt things........Thats what happened to me.

Ok, let me rephrase that. I don't think the SCT alone did it, not like there was something wrong with the SCT.

The problem is that these people with 100% stock trucks go out and buy a 150hp tune and they have no idea what to expect, no idea what to look for or anything else. A buddy gets in the truck and they do a 0-120mph run and bang, hole in the piston.

The SCT stretched duration far enough to make enough heat to melt a hole in the piston pretty easily.

Now, for most people, never a problem. No gauges+Hot SCT or any high power tuner = Bad Idea!!!!

if i understand this right he didnt have blow by (atleast not enough to blow the dip stick out) untill after they fixed the truck. if that is the case they may have droped a socket or a bolt in the intake when they fixed the egr and it went through #4. doubtful but could happen.

That is true.

Or something went wrong with the injector install although not sure how that would happen on start up. The only thing that comes to mind is that maybe an injector cup was not seated????

I have to be honest, I read it all wrong to start with! I read hole in #4, dipstick blew out, and probably no gauges.

Ok here is the news. he is pretty sure the head gasket went. Theory is HG went, burnt up the injector nozzle. As soon as he got the new injector it over pressurized the crank and dipstick shoots out.

his dad picked up the truck from the shop, drove it home in stock tune. Supposedly puking coolant like no tomorrow.

Ends up looking like a case of blown head gasket not burnt piston. I will let you know what happens here in a few days.

Oh and he has a pyro but that is the only gauge. He is a diesel mechanic so he isnt one to not know how to treat the truck. Though I will admit we do have fun!

Ok new news. Engine out tore down, melted #4!. Don't know how or where but it melted and major scoreing on the walls. I'll try to get a pic up asap.
Personaly I think it was the quadzilla. Oh plus wasted turbo. Turbo was taken off and dripping oil over an hour after it was removed. Like I said Ill try to get pics asap.

While a tuner or chip can do that, I wonder what happened at the 1st shop. It was running then, wasn't it? I know it needed a new injector and someEGR work and a turbo, but it was running. How do you go from that to eating a piston, while at the shop? Those guys (should) know not to run it too hot, even if there are no gauges.

Ralph

My theory is.. He melted the piston, then caused melted aluminum to be sprayed all over the injector nozzle. (this will plug the nozzle) When the injector is not firing it creates no combustion. (no expansion of gasses, low pressure). When they replaced the injector, the cylinder would try to fire once it created heat. This attempted combustion would increase cylinder pressure and in turn cause it to have increased blow-by past the burnt ring land therefore causing major crankcase pressure. There is no way possible to get a socket thru the injector cup.

Nummit: I don't know a lot about these trucks but I think modules are horible on the engines. Especialy when its the 160h.p. module. Then again I did think he had a leaky injector before all this happened, so it coulda just been plain ol over fueling. His pyro wouldnt go over 1300* every though? We are stumped.

Ralph: His truck ran like crap on the way to the shop. Ran a little better after injector swap but was puking a lot.

texas he had DJ's looney tune.

While the engine is out what should be done to it. He has to borrow money so its not an unlimeted funds deal. he wants to spend about 4k and thats it.

Thanks for all the replies guys we appreciate it. :thankyou2: I can't wait to get some pictures of this thing.

Personally, if he can swing it, I'd have the heads fire-ringed. I had studs installed at mine and I still have issues with puking. I'm heading to TN on vacation at the end of this month and will take the truck back in when I return home to see what the hell is going on. I'm getting real close to bypassing anything related to the EGR system:mad:

Not sure I buy the plugged injector theory... need pictures to see how big a hole is in that piston before I'd pass any judgements though.

But if the engine went boom and sent a boat load of oil out the exhaust, I could see where the turbo would take a while to "drain"...