How do you break a Billet Flex Plate on the Dyno?

JaMan

Local Hero
Yesterday I was at our Dyno Day and I broke a Billet flex plate on my second pull at about 3700rpms. I've had the flex plate for a few years and it has seen a run over 800hp but yesterday it let loose on a 600hp run. How do you break a billet one on a dyno? The flex plate was put in by a tranny builder but I 'm not sure which brand he put in there but it is anodized blue, any thought to who's flexplate it is? I want to see it the company warrentees them.

Jared

Was It a BD? I had the ring gear spin off of mine and they replaced it. The new ones were welded together.

Could have simply been mis-aligned, TC bolts working loose, bellhousing bolts working loose...

Usually not the fault of just brutally twisting them in two.

my buddy just broke his, harmonic balancer came apart on him and took out the billet flexplate

Blue and aluminium should be early version of DTT

Hmm lets see. Low rpms, full throttle, turbo lights hard, boom. Seems pretty logical to me. LOL I'll bet you had damaged it before and it just finally had enough on the dyno run.

Well pulled the tranny and I sheared the center section out of a Billet DTT flex plate. Glad this was all it was as several people kept telling me they thought it was unlikely and that maybe the crank was broke. No warrenty so what flex plate to use now?

I have a Billet one from Garmon in my truck... No complaints.

ats has a huge billet one.... apparently they split the same way though

looks like mine also-- and it's been in my truck for quite sometime--I think I had one of the first ones---ummm something else to worry about now---guess whenever the tranny comes out for a rebuild I may have to upgrade that thing--

the C.A.T. one is priced awesome, but they don't spell CUMMINS right and although they are rpm tested I'd be more interested in the torque it was tested at---I'd be leary of this one, until someone who knows about them pipes in---it looks to be to good to be true and that scares me even more----

what about Suncoast's flex plate??.....chris