How do you know if your VP44 is about to die?

Texaschromeboy

Cummins Cadillac
when i idle my rpm needle will kinda twitch a little i dont know if that would be something to do with the pump or not but id appreciate it if any body could give me answers about things to check or be aware of if any if the injection pump is about to go out.

That is one of the very difficult things about these trucks. There are a few signs that it is DONE, but there are not many to show that it is GOING.

If you get a "dead pedal," you might have a bad pump. Basically, you push on the go pedal and nothing happens.

You can also check codes. If you have codes related to the pump, there is a good chance that it is going to be done.. Soon.

Other times, they can just fail with no warning. That is how mine went out. Was just driving down town, made a left turn, and the truck shut off. Was like someone flipped the key off. And that was it. Had to get a new pump!

*Missing at idle.
*Missing in general.
*Excessive White Smoke.
*Dead pedal goes away when warm.

A drop in mileage
difficulty starting when warm

My truck cut off like MD's one time and it turned out to be just a ground. That's why I'm always telling people to check their grounds.

yeah i remember when mine went out i was passing somebody and just like that the whole truck was shut off and when your power steering is no more avaliable its hard to get to the side of the road.

dead pedal goes away when warm? u mean like when ur truck is cold it will have the dead pedal

dead pedal goes away when warm? u mean like when ur truck is cold it will have the dead pedal

Ya my 98 just idles when it starts up Summer, Winter doesn't matter. After it gets warm you can drive it across the country without a problem.

How do you know when the Vp is going to die?

When you drive it off the lot.

it would be nice if there was a good injection pump (beside p-pump)for these trucks that could go threw hell and back without loosing $3000 for a new one to be put in

And, something other than the stock lift pump (airdog, fass, or even just a holley blue) will help prolong the life of an injection pump.

well, sounds like you are doing all you can do, when she goes... she goes.

if I rember it should be no less than 8psi at idle but its been awile. do you treat your fuel with any kind of additive? if you dont you should the vp pump is a great enginering masterpeice it works verry well people forget when its working how good its doing. but the fuel there selling today is crap. the vp has no tolarance for water, air or contamants. anything to increase the lubricity of the fuel. lucas for fuel, ATF (a gallon per tank full will not show on a DOT die test). anything. I have seen ATF prolong a failing vp's life by two to three weeks once the hard starting was discovered. for some this could be time enough to scrape together some cash. hope this helps.