How important is front up travel?

dzchey21

Single turbo 6.4
Just had a question about how important uptravel on the front suspension is? My truck likes to hop pulling, and about the only remedy is strapping the front down, It works well, and it seams to hook fine, but i have been told that hurts you sled pulling. Any help would be appreciated!!!

When your front end travels upword, inturn drops your hitch hight. So the less up travel the better!

When your front end travels upword, inturn drops your hitch hight. So the less up travel the better!

Well I didnt even think about the hitch hieght thats a good point.

My thoughts were traction on the front end. One way i think about it makes me think that if its strapped the more weight that goes on the back and pulls up the front it will wanna lift the front off the ground, but on the same token you are pretty much doing the same thing with up travel, but effectively lowering hitch height.

Thanks for the input, any other ideas?

most trucks i seen that strap the front ends down hop like hell

I can almost pull my suspension down on the bumpstops, and i havent had any issues after i strap it. If i dont strap it, the axle bounces around like a mofo.

I would say pulling it down in the front would make it better from what i have seen

I would say pulling it down in the front would make it better from what i have seen

On Chevy's I would agree but they still have full travel, they only strap the centerlink. It doesn't affect front end travel.

I personally don't like the idea of strapping the front down eliminating travel. At the end of the track when your front end is trying to rise it's pulling the tires from the track if you're strapped.

I to have seen a few trucks strap down there front ends and have encounted even worse bounce from it. I ran the same suspension setup in my old truck as the fords do (I used a set of 2006 trailing arms) and my first two pulls I had the worse tire chatter I have ever seen. if it would have got worse it would have been some crasy bounce. In my case my wheel speed was so great that I believe it was preventing major bounce but you could hear the chatter come right thru the drive train and out the motor. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PjQlcBVhRk&feature=PlayList&p=E664E09CC0FF24D0&index=2

I was then recomended by Van Haisley to mount a set of 90/10 drag shocks up as close to the axle as possible and on the front side would be even better. What do you know, he was right! from then on I never had even a little bit off chatter or hop, the truck would lift a little comming off the line (leaving the line, when the sled is light doesn't involve the hitch height as much) but as I would make it down the track the truck would settle back down to normal right height. The drag shocks counter act the forces associated with the wheel hop. Could tell they where working, in 300ft they would get quite warm to the touch. Also, they are cheap...picked them up from Summit for around 80-90 for the pair at the time.

Good luck...Ryan

On Chevy's I would agree but they still have full travel, they only strap the centerlink. It doesn't affect front end travel.

I personally don't like the idea of strapping the front down eliminating travel. At the end of the track when your front end is trying to rise it's pulling the tires from the track if you're strapped.

Thats what i was explained as well... Pretty much like trying to pull a wheelie, but the way im thinkin about it, weight transfer is weight transfer, either way its still trying to take weight off the front tires. Unstrapped will allow it to stay on the ground in the event of a "wheelie" situation, I just dont get it, but im going to try and run a set up that wont make me strap.

I to have seen a few trucks strap down there front ends and have encounted even worse bounce from it. I ran the same suspension setup in my old truck as the fords do (I used a set of 2006 trailing arms) and my first two pulls I had the worse tire chatter I have ever seen. if it would have got worse it would have been some crasy bounce. In my case my wheel speed was so great that I believe it was preventing major bounce but you could hear the chatter come right thru the drive train and out the motor. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PjQlcBVhRk&feature=PlayList&p=E664E09CC0FF24D0&index=2

I was then recomended by Van Haisley to mount a set of 90/10 drag shocks up as close to the axle as possible and on the front side would be even better. What do you know, he was right! from then on I never had even a little bit off chatter or hop, the truck would lift a little comming off the line (leaving the line, when the sled is light doesn't involve the hitch height as much) but as I would make it down the track the truck would settle back down to normal right height. The drag shocks counter act the forces associated with the wheel hop. Could tell they where working, in 300ft they would get quite warm to the touch. Also, they are cheap...picked them up from Summit for around 80-90 for the pair at the time.

Good luck...Ryan

Hey thanks for the help, I was told a similar set up on the drag shocks, I hope i can find something long enough for my lift, which im thinking i can. Thanks for the info guys big help!!

Ryan do you remember the brand of shock you went with?

if you arn't strapped your fron end will rise more, which will transfer more weight to your rear end lightening up the front end aswell if the front in rising the hitch is dropping. if your front happens to rise enough to top out your lifting on the axle anyway.

if its strapped yes it is pulling up directly on the axle but there may still be more weight there cause the front is lower and planted.

weather it works good or not im not sure just tossing out my thoughts about it