how limited will I be with a stock cam?

ashby

So I'm fixing to p-pump.. Going to be running a stock turbo for now, 191dvs .084 lines, mack plug and a 4gsk..

I really want to put a cam in it since I'm going to have it all out anyway, but moneys tight and I don't really have the $1200ish to spend on it..

So would it be worth it to go ahead and save a little more money and put a cam in it, or should I just go ahead and put some spot welds on the stock cam and wait until I get the hunger for more?

I just don't know how much the stock cam will hinder my performance and how high it will keep my egts.

let me know what you guys think..

Thanks

Dont weld it get a bolt kit they are cheap. I would talk to fletcher at Diesel pros, he can set u up with a kick ass cam cheap

not sure what cam you are looking at thats 1200 bucks but a good cam can be had for 500-600 bucks

Yea, but then you have to add in the cost of new pushrods, tappets, and 110# valve springs.

If I'm going to do it, might as well do it right.

----I didn't know you could convert the stock cam into a bolt on..

Links?

Do a cam and tappets now, the others are easy to do later.

To convert the stock cam to a bolt on you just have to tap it for a bolt and get the bolt and retainer.

Well I thought that would put a lot of stress on the nose, thats why all the cam manufactures put the bolt farther in the cam..

Also it would be pointless to put tappets on.. They wear with the cam.. I would think I need to run new lifters with the new cam, and the stock lifters that are wore with the stock cam.

Well I thought that would put a lot of stress on the nose, thats why all the cam manufactures put the bolt farther in the cam..

Also it would be pointless to put tappets on.. They wear with the cam.. I would think I need to run new lifters with the new cam, and the stock lifters that are wore with the stock cam.
Meant tappets..

UM my hd cam only has like a 2" long bolt on the cam gear.

Several hundred people have run new cams with old tappets with great success. You don't need new pushrods either. Really all you need is the springs.

Hmm.. well i've always read to put new tappets in.. And pushrods aren't that expensive and I've always heard the stock ones flex from the 110# valve springs.. Yeah I don't know how far the bolts go in on aftermarket cams.. They say they go into the 3rd lobe or something like that..I guess it just depends on how bad the stock tappets are wore out.. I guess I could just drop the first one and check it out...

I'm on my 3rd cam with the same tappets, no problems yet. HD valve spring are only needed if you plan on spinning the engine more than 3800.

thought i remember seeing in another thread that the cr tappets are only 90 bucks for the set?

Stock pushrods work just fine with the 110# springs. They are just recommended. I recommend valve springs when you do the cam to help prevent coil bind.

I don't think the Diesel cams are all they are cracked up to be. My buddy did 616hp with a aftermarket cam, Redline/ADR, 7x.018 injectors & S475. I was the first guy on the dyno & I did 611hp with my stock cam, Mach 5's, Adrenaline & 64/71/14. I ran 12 times back to back before those numbers, he ran twice. I've also had graphs showing 500hp at 3500+rpm, 480hp at 4k rpm with my stock cam. I think they are a waste of money, thats why I never touched mine.

You also have to consider spool up benefits of the new cam... if you can put the power on a few hundred rpm sooner, that to me is a huge plus...

I would do the cam while it's apart, skip the tappets unless yours are worn. Worry about everything else when the funds become available as the springs/ push rods are easily swapped...

thats not a good comparison. s475 is too big for a single at 4000 rpm and 7x18's are too big for a vp

Jamie I'm gonna have to agree with rollin coal. My cam has been worth every penny. Spools sooner and runs cooler. I also have a feeling that s475 wasn't seeing near full boost where as you were seeing closer to full boost.

Saying aftermarket diesel cams are a waste of money is kinda............. what's the word Im looking for?

Back