How long is the wait?

If anyone sees or talks to Jeff today, have him give me a call back. I left him a message a little while ago.

Thanks.

Finally got this thing ordered today! :)

I'm stoked. Thanks for all the help, everyone.

Finally got this thing ordered today! :)

I'm stoked. Thanks for all the help, everyone.

I'm glad you guys finally made contact! Let me know if I can do anything else for ya, but I think Jeff, Phil Taylor, Rick, and Kyle (Sticky) will have you covered from here on out!

Let us know what ya think when you get it done.

This is my first new AT. Is there a break in period I should know about? Specifically, I need to tow ~12k up a steep ass hill next week and I'd like to not do it on the stock trans when the new one will already be here.

EDIT: Talked to Jeff. No break in. Dex III changed every 20k. Got it.

Last edited:
I think this is my last question...

The transmission I'm replacing is in fine condition, as far as I know, and still has stock +4 fluid in it. Can I just do the driveway flush by disconnecting the return line, running it into a bucket, and refilling as necessary to get all of the old +4 out of the cooler and lines?

Yes just flush the lines out with brake cleaner or Dexron 3 which ever is the easiest for you

I will have 6 gallons of Valvoline Dex III on hand with the intention that 1-1.5 gallons will be for the flush.

Got the transmission sans TC and FP yesterday (Wednesday) and the TC and FP came today (Thursday). Had the old transmission on the ground for several hours before FedEx showed up with the remaining parts. IIRC they got here at around 7pm. After not getting the TC seated properly and futzing with that for a good couple hours :)bang) we finally just got the transmission hung and threw all the random **** that wasn't put back together yet into the garage and called it a night.

Lesson for the day: don't buy a cheap POS transmission jack. F***ing thing cost us at least 4 hours today and almost dropped $6k+ on the ground..twice.. :soap:

Jeff - do you want the stock flex plate? Should I just leave the TC on and find a place for the flex plate to fit? I probably can't get the core ready to be sent out until Monday. I hope that's ok. How do I arrange for a pick up? If it's much hassle, it may just be easier to drop it back off at their yard.

Thanks and sorry for the incoherent rambling.

Ryan

Finally got everything back together this afternoon after a couple more hiccups. I left shift indicator bolts loose so truck wouldn't start and then accidentally popped the transfer case into N and didn't notice it until Jeff told me what I'd done. :bang:

The more I drive it, the more I really really like it. The shifts are tight and fast but buttery smooth, the TC is noticeably more efficient and locks up hard, and surprisingly shifting from park requires much less force on the shift lever.

Hopefully I get to do some pulling this weekend to really put it to the test, but so far it's passing with flying colors.

Thanks!

So glad you like it Ryan!

Lets me know if I can be of any further help.

Enjoy!

Actually...there is one thing you could do.. That avatar is creepy as hell, make it go AWAY! lol. ;)

jk

Its better than the Obama one he had Ill take the lesser of the two. :- )

Just an update for anyone that's interested. I've pulled both of my trailers now. First was with an empty 3500# enclosed. It was about 30* out that day. My trans temps didn't get over 100* at any point while pulling the 2 passes that I crossed. For reference, pulling the same trailer at 45* ambient on the stock trans, only crossing 1 much lower pass, my temps were hitting ~180.

I also pulled my 12k# trailer up a canyon with 8-10% grades. I kept it in 2nd with the TC locked and once again my trans temps never got above 100 and the ambient was ~40*. The stock transmission on this same pull was never below 200 and I stopped when it hit 235 and started shifting funny to let it cool down.

The highest temperature I've seen on this new transmission is 160 and that was pulling a slight grade with the 12k# trailer in stop and go traffic. I'm very pleased and I've been shamelessly cheerleading for Jeff over on the "other" forum. I hope it sends some work this way. :)

Back