how much boost can stock commonrail heads handle??

9t5twelvevalve

ive heard different things,i have an 04.5 and i was thinking about getting a bigger turbo, a couple people have told me that a stock commonrail can handle up to 50-60 pounds without aftermarket studs, is there any validity to this statement? any input would be appreciated

I run 49 psi on my stock head right now. The guy that owned it before me pulled work stock and pushed 62 all day. but i would suggest head studs and decent head gasket. Just to be safe. Dont want to screw up a head. them you'll be up a creek without a canoe.

I uses to run my special up to 58psi all day long on stock bolts with no issue. Not so much boost but cylinder pressure which is affected by timing . I've always ran a little less timing though.

i probably will get studs sooner or later, just wont make it an immediate priority, thanks for the help!

X2 On the timing and cylinder pressure. U can blow a head gasket on 40 psi with a lot of timing and still keep it in tact at 60 psi with no timing. All about cylinder pressure

What kind of turbo are we talking and what kind of boost do you want to run. Also for what application sled pull race or dd.

what would you rather do? wait to do studs after you blow it and you have a towing fiasco to deal with? Same with trans, build up in prep for power/ pressure. Unless of course you got tons of money laying around for surprise repairs/ downtime.

I have stock head bolts, a 66mm S300, and 219,000 miles on my '03. The head has never been of the engine. I check the bolts every time I check valve lash.

With that being said, I tell anyone that wants to up the output of their engine, that they're entering a world of unknowns. There is no safe level of high performance. Just lower levels of dangerous. :)

Keep in mind that valve seats can be an issue with these trucks too. If your wanting to make big power down the rd now might be a good time to get some bigger ones pressed in. Just a thought.

I tell anyone that wants to up the output of their engine, that they're entering a world of unknowns. There is no safe level of high performance. Just lower levels of dangerous. :)

Sig worthy!