How much nitrous is too much?

dodge359

I am running a nitrous express *nx* two stage set up and have a 62 and a 78 pill in them. I used this before and man did she go, passed one of those fancy new vettes like he was tied to a pole, but sadly my HG went ka-put.:eek:wned: I think the hg problem came from to much drive pressure/to small of a turbo to be cramming out 58 psi. I am running an hx40/ht3b set up now with fire rings and was wondering what you guys think, other than "drug free". I may need the nitrous to light that primary!!:poke:

How much smoke do you have now with the twins? If it clears up then you dont need the nitrous, but if you still have a decent amount then I would turn on the nitrous. Youre gonna have to start a lot smaller on the jetting since youre not gonna need as near as much, you might try it with just the 62 jet and go from there.

Just curious, what charger were you running when you popped the HG with the nitrous.

From what I understand, here's how you adjust nitrous:

Keep upping the shot until something busts.

When you save enough up to fix your truck, go down two jet sizes.

If it doesn't break with the smaller jet, then go back to the big jet.

;)

you might have trouble wastegating the twins on fuel and the bottle. Two totally different setups as far as drive pressure/cylinder pressure. how is it wastgate, internally or external?

Its an internal wastegate that I have opened up as much as I could. As for breaking the truck, just putting it back together.

rockjeep73, you think I should just use one jet? I was running two before, through a shark nozzle.

I dont have it running yet, I have to set the valves, build an intercooler pipe and get a downpipe.

McRat said:
From what I understand, here's how you adjust nitrous:

Keep upping the shot until something busts.

When you save enough up to fix your truck, go down two jet sizes.

If it doesn't break with the smaller jet, then go back to the big jet.

;)
And that's exactly why my truck has ran 18 hours out of the last 9 weeks. Seriously, what are 'jets'? LOL

dodge359 said:
rockjeep73, you think I should just use one jet? I was running two before, through a shark nozzle.

It all depends on how much nitrous you need to throw at it. If you dont need much then you will only need to utilize one stage. Do you have a progressive controller? I assume that you want to use the nitrous for drag racing?

dzlfarmboy said:
you might have trouble wastegating the twins on fuel and the bottle. Two totally different setups as far as drive pressure/cylinder pressure. how is it wastgate, internally or external?

Another thing to consider. HX-40 wastegates arent too impressive.

I have a 2 stage with a SP66 ,Mach 8's and run a 57 pill in the first stage and a 110 pill in the second stage both on different shark nozzles.It cleans up real well.*nx*

Running nitrous and twins isn't a big issue..... Keep an eye on total boost, best case would be you only see 1-3 lbs more total boost when on the squeeze. If you see more than 6-8 lbs then you should consider modifying your wastegate or installing an external.

Then the best way would be to get an hour or so of dyno time and start tuning. Which controller are you running? If you have the NXD5000 controller you can start the nitrous very early in the rpm band. Play with jet size until you see the HP taper off, then its normally about .004-.008 size jet larger for optimum HP.

I see you are running water/meth as well..... I would just run the nitrous and stay away from the cocktail. I tried running both and the gain using the water/meth and nitrous over just nitrous was only about 10 HP but the engine wasn't too happy running the mix.

Doug

joefarmer said:
And that's exactly why my truck has ran 18 hours out of the last 9 weeks. Seriously, what are 'jets'? LOL
18 hours in 9 weeks, Man I'm jealous.
LOL :bang

Jetpilot said:
Running nitrous and twins isn't a big issue..... Keep an eye on total boost, best case would be you only see 1-3 lbs more total boost when on the squeeze. If you see more than 6-8 lbs then you should consider modifying your wastegate or installing an external.

Then the best way would be to get an hour or so of dyno time and start tuning. Which controller are you running? If you have the NXD5000 controller you can start the nitrous very early in the rpm band. Play with jet size until you see the HP taper off, then its normally about .004-.008 size jet larger for optimum HP.

I see you are running water/meth as well..... I would just run the nitrous and stay away from the cocktail. I tried running both and the gain using the water/meth and nitrous over just nitrous was only about 10 HP but the engine wasn't too happy running the mix.

Doug

I would have to believe that going from just fuel, to pretty heavy shot of Juice you would see a pretty big jump in boost #s especially gating through a Hx-40 internally.

dzlfarmboy said:
I would have to believe that going from just fuel, to pretty heavy shot of Juice you would see a pretty big jump in boost #s especially gating through a Hx-40 internally.

Brett,

I had this exact setup on another truck and it did pretty good with the original wastegate..... That being said I had the wastegate modified, upped the fuel and juice and picked up more HP. There is a real trick to setting up nitrous and backpressures really come into play, if it were me I would either modiify the interanl wastegate or go with an external. Actually for best flow installing a non-watsgeated housing and using a good external wastegate will provide the best results.

Doug

Im not running a controller. I have two hobbs switches in the intake piping, one for each stage. The two stages are armed separtly. The smaller/1st stage will come on at about 5 psi reguardless of pedal position (If its armed) and the second comes in about 15 psi at wot.

If I can get away from two stages I guess I can use the other as a purge. Would be kinda fun to purge out the fender when beside one of those ricers.:evil

use one stage to spool the turbo at the line and one for the trip down the track.

I dont think that spooling the turbos will be an issue.

Since you have two stages both on hobbs then I would run both of them with smaller jets. Like a 45 and a 40. Which is equivalent to a 60. Should be a good starting point.

Now Im not even gonna pretend I know what I am talking about here :bang but how does 40+45=60?:what: School me please.