how much will the stock clutch hold

Not much over stock. They are the strongest trans Dodge put behind the 5.9 from the factory, but the clutch is weak.

yeah what he said^^^^^ i started slipping mine with a drag comp

Believe it or not my old 01 would held a drag comp with 150hp diesel dynamics injectors and a fass until i started towing heavy with 315 tires and 3.54 gears. Im sure I had one of the few stock clutches that ever held that much! You had to be racing it though for it to hold, you couldnt hammer it in the higher gears before the turbo spooled or else when it did finally light it would slip it.

My buddies cant seem to have theirs even hold a comp box though! I guess its all in how you drive them.

Got all ya'll beat, a set of RV275's was all it took for mine to go all shuddery......

...the ID10T contamination behind the wheel likely did not help matters LOL

My 2002 6 speed is still holding with an Edge Attitude on level 3 or higher after 20,000 miles. And a third of those miles are pulling a gooseneck with 8,000 pounds on the deck.

I cotton candied mine with edge comp and 5 minutes of driving with Mach 4's

Comp/tapped, 100hp Jammers and hybrid slips mine with no load. Probably won't hold at all when I tap the wire on this new inj. pump.

Smarty, Mach 4's, and a Garrett Stage 2 charger, plus supporting mods like gauges and fuel system of course. It was starting to slip at times when he sold the truck, but would hold at anything more than 1500RPM at full skinny pedal.

Truck should have been close to 400hp, but why the clutch help is beyond me:D
Chris

My 5 speed clutch held Edge Comp just fine. It even lasted a few months with RV275's and Edge Juice Hot. The only time it would slip with that combination was during practice 2200 rpm launches with 315 tires. It would slip for the first few feet and by the time I had worked up to 4th gear, it started to really go.

I bought my truck used and didn't know I had an aftermarket organic clutch with higher plate load till i upgraded. I thought the heavy clutch pedal was standard from the factory!

My Valair Feramic clutch holds just fine, it won't do 3rd gear launches with 285 (33") tires and it shifts slower than the previous two organic clutches but it doesn't slip when I race or tow heavy.

Just keep in mind, when you upgrade the clutch, there is a high likelyhood that shifting time will increase if you go with an aggressive clutch material like ceramic or feramic.

5spd is a whole nother ball of wax, they had a much better clutch from the factory.

Back