How or Why am I the only one? What is my milkshake secret?

if you coolant temp is running 160 on the road it is too cold. either a winter front, or a new thermostat. if the coolant temp is low the oil temp will be low as well, that is going to make a poor situation worse, because it won't evaporate from the crankcase very well if the oil is cool. raising the 2 setpoints just a touch should help too.

You can see my water temperature sender in the first picture, under the radiator return hose. What should it be there, 180? I've only had that sender there for a couple months, it's definitely told me that I need a new thermostat.

Anybody know how hot engine oil typically runs in relation to engine coolant? The typical 20-30 degrees, more or less?

I imagine that 212 degree engine oil would make water in the oil a pretty rare occurrence indeed.

After a couple hundred miles of additional driving, any visible signs of water in the oil have vanished. Oil pressure has returned to normal, and possibly oil consumption as well.

Last edited:
on our highway tractors cruising oil temp is 230+. coolant should run min 180 up to 195 if temp drops off when you slow down or idle thermostat is def fubar