How to?..... change an LB7 injector

02Dmax

Hey guys I've got an '02 GMC with an injector out of it. I'm a diesel mechanic by trade but spend all my time working on older, bigger stuff in dozers, off road trucks, and scrapers. My local diesel shop diagnosed it and i just need a heads-up on what to expect when changing it out. This is the engine that you have to pull the valve cover off of to change injectors... right? Advice would be appreciated

Yes , That being said . The dealer will not just replace 1 . They do all 8. If its out of your pocket and its your truck , I can see trying just 1 but it has been known to fail. I wish you the best of luck. I have had 2 sets done. They are touchy. Dealerships figure if 1 is bad the other 7 are not far behind and its cheaper to do it one time while your in there than tear it apart again several times.

Yes they are under the first valve cover , there are tools you will need to remove them too.

good to know. the trucks got 240,000 miles on it so it's out of the extended LB7 warranty. Either way the dealer is not touching this truck. If I should replace them all should I just put in some performance injectors?

unless you have a Big turbo and and dual fuelers go stock !

Need to remove the upper and lower valve covers to remove the injector(s).

What cylinder and can probably give a better how to