How to check the VP?

JFlagg

Gun for Hire
My daily driver is down...According to the symptoms and codes, I thought it was the TPS. http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18944
After doing some troubleshooting and talking to a few people I'm starting to wonder if its my Inj. pump? Its a IIHRVP44 with about 25 months/15k miles on it and its had a FASS 150 hooked to it its whole life. My question is, minus my FP gauge, anyway to check the VP to make sure its OK? voltage outputs or anything? I would have the shop that installed it check, but its a 40 mile drive and I don't want to try that drive with it running this bad. Plus the shop owner's wife is in the hospital and being a friend of mine I don't want to bother him if I can check myself first. I have a new FASS pump and filter to install tonight, but if that doesn't help how about the VP? Thanks again.

My truck spewed white smoke, like the other guy in your original forum post.
That is a sure sign, from what I've been told that the VP is shot. Something about fractures or cracks internally causeing timeing issues or something? Not real sure why.
Mine only did this in the first few gears, but being a manual I could lug 3rd and it would pull out.
Also had the dead throttle, but only on hills.
Sorry I couldn't be more help, but I will ask my shop tech what they do to test for bad VP's short of taking them off and sending them to St. Joe Diesel to be tested.

Last edited:
Only codes are P1693 and 1698. But its my fault for those, I forgot to hook the harness back up to the PCM after resetting the APPS. Thats the 1698 "no BUS connection at PCM" code. I had the stock VP go out a couple years back and it acted similar, but it was VERY intermitten, but this time I can't go anywhere. And there isn't a 1689 code. My fuel pressure isn't down either, its a steady 15-16 lbs pre-VP coming from my FASS. No reason it should be suspect. I reset the apps hoping to cure the TPS codes, and with the correct voltage it still runs like crap. It was low, a .33 volts when it was supposed to be .521 volts...Its .523 now.

Those codes from a code-reader or the key trick?

Key trick, but I checked with a code reader at Autozone yesterday too. Thats how I found the 0211, it didn't pop up with the key trick.

Back