How to keep A well mileaged and aged truck running its best??

pyrobee

Everything can go faster!
Alright so I have a 99 with 317,000 miles and I love my truck but I am having more and more small problems not major like I need to redue the frontend and all the bushing and the transfer pump is possibly going out cause I am having some problems getting it to start and stay started in the morning and I need some new batteries. other then the other normal wear and tear how and what should I due to keep my truck going forever!!!! lol Please help maybe make this a sticky for guys with well mileaged trucks!!!

Maintenance. That's all anyone can tell you. Your Cummins with 300k is nothing special. There's boat loads of Cummins with 1/2 Million and few now with over 1 Million. Mine has 200k and the only way you can tell is the odometer.

The best thing to do when a problem with your truck occurs is not doing a half ass fix. Get it done right.

Example: Front end. You have a ball joint worn out. Don't just replace one ball joint. Don't replace all 4. Replace everything. I did that with my 98 2wd and it drove like a Cadillac afterwords.

same here , and i understand your point in trying to keep that truck running forever i feel the same about my truck cause i love it and ive put alot of time, money, and hard work to keep mine running and make it reliable. other advice i could give is inspect everything and make sure everything is in good working condition. Just like someone always told me "it might be old but it just needs a little more love and tender care"

all i can say is normal maintnance, and dont park it for long periods of time. the worst thing you can do is let it sit.

How to keep A well mileaged and aged truck running its best??

Answer....

A LOT of hard work,dedication,regular maintence,paying attention to the small stuff and a lot of personal love.

Mine is about to flip 200k and is a daily street driver here in Central PA.Yet,to look at it you would be hard pressed to believe that.I spend countless hours detailing and on the maintenance to ensure that small problems do not become larger ones later.That formula has netted me alot of praise at shows and allows me to drive it anywhere for anything.I use the extra work on my truck as a stress reliever to calm my nerves after a long week of driving truck.......Andy

I can vouch for Andy's truck, it is unbelievably clean :rockwoot:

All I can add is a second to what others have said, keep up the maintenance on the truck, if a problem comes up, fix it right the first time.

Wow you are nearing 200k Andy? DAAAAYYYUUUMMMMM. That makes it even more impressive buddy.

You just have to keep up with it and do regular maintence.

Maimtenence, maintenence, maintenence!! Thats the biggest thing to keep it goin!