How to pick the right efi tune/tuner for cummins

joelc79

I am about to pull the plug and purchase EFI Live for my 08' 6.7 cummins. I have been emailing Starlight diesel and they have offered great answers.
My real Q is what is the major differences with pre loaded type tunes for my stock truck?
This is one option I was looking at:
EFILive AutoCal

Or another option:
Rollin Smoke Diesel. 2006-2007 5.9 & 2007.5-2009 6.7 Cummins-Tuner Spade Series JACK

Is one kind better than the other? This is a stock/deleted truck that is only used as a work (highway) truck and some light towing...nothing more

I'm just looking for my best options..

Auto cal units can only have tunes from the original tuner.

If you decide to get a tune from another tuner, it will not be compatible with your auto cal.

So as long as your positive that the person you select will provide the best tuning for your truck, then a auto cal purchase from them is a good idea.

If your on the fence about who to choose, you might pop for the V2 and buy tunes from multiple tuners to see which one better suits your needs.

My suggestion is do your research. Look at customer reviews, testimonials, results, videos in full length (not chopped up), price, etc. You'll see there are lots of good tuners out there that are offering tuned Autocals.

Autocals are great if you never what to look at, or adjust your own tuning. The V2 will give you this option. If you make mods on the truck in the future, ask how much changes will be if purchasing the autocal.

The great thing about EFI that has been mostly forgotten, because supplied tunes work so well, is that having a V2 to make changes by the end user. Testing and modifying to fit your truck and style is the Cat's meow.

I think I would look at getting the full v2, for the little bit of extra money it will provide you a lot more options. One thing you should remember about efi is you do not need a million tunes a big tune can be used as a everyday file if it is built right.

as long as tunes supplied with the V2 aren't locked. There's a lot you beta guys figured out that someone starting from scratch would really have trouble with.

Something that's not mentioned much also is, you really have to have a good working knowledge of how to tune a diesel to make some of the changes. EFI puts things into tables and numbers for you but, you have to put them together in the correct sequences to get the results you want. For this reason, Autocal could be the better option for some.

Back