HTT Borg Warner EFR Turbo

There are no coatings or special processes that are diferent than the written feature list of the turbo's.

I just got off the phone with BW on this. They dont know of a wheel coating that will (1) with stand that temp and (2) will stay mated to the TiAL Wheel as it expands and gaines ductility with Temp.

there testing has been extensive on this turbo.

I hear ya, a coating to survive this kind of situation would be rare.

Wade, for "normal" use, how are they specifying max EGT? Or have they said anything?

Also, if it grenades, warranty, or no warranty?

I hear ya, a coating to survive this kind of situation would be rare.

Wade, for "normal" use, how are they specifying max EGT? Or have they said anything?

Also, if it grenades, warranty, or no warranty?

Well im sure there is a warranty if it's not temp related.. honestly i dont know, havent asked..

there "recomended" Max EGT is 1740 F, thats as high as they tested long duration load and EGT. allthough it was said that they have not tested any higher than 1792 F..

With my temps being so high, i've been thinking about other ways of cooling. i'd like to introduce a nitrous or water in the exhaust stream.. to drop the turbine temps...

what are your thoughts?

i see cracked housings or destroyed wheels doing that. taking somthing thats what 1500 degrees and then throwing something really cold at it? what happens on a 100 degree summer day if you were to go throw ice cold water on your windshield? cracks. i dont think that would be a good idea introducing stuff on the exhaust side to keep it cool.

i see cracked housings or destroyed wheels doing that. taking somthing thats what 1500 degrees and then throwing something really cold at it? what happens on a 100 degree summer day if you were to go throw ice cold water on your windshield? cracks. i dont think that would be a good idea introducing stuff on the exhaust side to keep it cool.

i agree to a extent. wind shields crack because there brittle and the temp range is very low in comparison.

Were not talking about a lot of cooling volume, only enough to keep it in check. besides the heat volume thats there now almost cant be over come to make a huge temp change.

So with that said im just trying to offset temp, and because it's going to immidiatly mix with the very hot air it would take a ton to "shock it" like your saying.

almost like saying nitrous and water in a engine will crack pistons...from a major temp differential.. see what im saying?

i agree to a extent. wind shields crack because there brittle and the temp range is very low in comparison.

Were not talking about a lot of cooling volume, only enough to keep it in check. besides the heat volume thats there now almost cant be over come to make a huge temp change.

So with that said im just trying to offset temp, and because it's going to immidiatly mix with the very hot air it would take a ton to "shock it" like your saying.

almost like saying nitrous and water in a engine will crack pistons...from a major temp differential.. see what im saying?
i see what your saying. what would this do to spool up? taking heat that drives the turbo away? or are you mearly trying to keep egts from going over say 1500? 2000? i can see it being used to manage them but then how would you measure egt temps at the head?

Last edited:
In turn would this also lower drive pressures being as you would be lowering thermal expansion via cooling or would it raise them if you used water and it turned to steam

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

I was kinda thinking one would inject it as far upstream of the turbine as is practical, and shoot it straight down the bore of the manifold or whatnot (very tight spray angle) to avoid shocking any of the hard parts. Start with a small nozzle and watch drive pressure and shaft speed and give it small shots to see what happens. Obviously if you have gobs of heat available, the expansion to steam should be considerable. Ether way, it would teach you a lot about thermo!

Someone has to have done this already....gotta be some obscure paper on it....

Last edited:
I'm curious as to how much extra volume the steam would make, as the exhaust gas would become denser from being cooled by the water.

If we have the time, when we are on the dyno next month, I may rig something up quick and do some testing. Not promising I will share what I find though...

Last edited:
I was kinda thinking one would inject it as far upstream of the turbine as is practical, and shoot it straight down the bore of the manifold or whatnot (very tight spray angle) to avoid shocking any of the hard parts. Start with a small nozzle and watch drive pressure and shaft speed and give it small shots to see what happens. Obviously if you have gobs of heat available, the expansion to steam should be considerable. Ether way, it would teach you a lot about thermo!

Someone has to have done this already....gotta be some obscure paper on it....

I was told this was used on the predator truck with great results. Also recommended I do it too if needed.

Apparently sled pullers have been doing this for like 30 years... only with water injection.

I bet the reason nitrous has not been used because of the latent fuel burn in the manifold of 99% of diesels...

Borg Warner cautioned that shaft speed needs to be like minted to below 115,000rpms. I've installed their speed sensor in the compressor housing and have been watching it in my Edge Insight. Hopefully being able to watch these numbers and adjust the gate accordingly will help keep the turbo safe, I'm really liking the way the truck drives with this turbo on it.

Sent from my XT907

Apparently sled pullers have been doing this for like 30 years... only with water injection.

I bet the reason nitrous has not been used because of the latent fuel burn in the manifold of 99% of diesels...

that plus you would be wasting ALOT of money on nitrous to be used for cooling only and not a power adder.