HX 50 for single?

wagoneer

Somebody using this on single in street? In this moment there is 25 exaust housing what is too much for street use.
Are the 16 or 17 exhaust housing is good for street use?
How it spool up.

It is ok with a 15 cm on the street. 17 is pretty big for a street set up.

it would be ok, the ones i have measured had 64mm or 66mm wheel. on the intake side a a 70 or so mm wheel on the exhaust. but don't think it will spool like a hx40.

Iv ran them , I used a 17 cm housing and was pleased on spool up , I do have 2 17cm housings one is wastegated

So 17 was ok for street?
Do you need some flange to connect the turbo in exhaust manifold or its bolt on housing?

Last edited:
Rods said:
Iv ran them , I used a 17 cm housing and was pleased on spool up , I do have 2 17cm housings one is wastegated

Interested in selling the 17 cm wastegated housing? what is the bolt flange and what ist he discharge?
PM me a price, pictures?

OK how were they attached to the center section??

I use a 19 and drive every day, its laggy buy u get use to it

Laggy and fragile..... I used one 5 or 6 years ago and it was slow to spool compared to the new hybrids. ALso the 50 loves to go POP so keep the boost below 50# and be gentle.

Doug

My buddy lost one in the first 6 hours he had it on. Drove a long ways to the strip, made it halfway down the strip and it grenaded. I think he said the boost was 50+.

Smokem said:
74mm turbine with a 67mm or 72mm compressor, 17-19-22-25cm turbine housing options, and not to mention a weak shaft. The new S400's are a much better choice with the same wheel sizes.

well I already have hx50 in garage(brand new) and I think I will try whit this one first. And if its break then I like to try twins or new big single hybrids. The twins and hybrid take lots of $$$$ what I dont have now. Also the cyilnder head is stock(not ported yet), Intake is also stock(idea was to cut the original intake off and make new aluminium intake.) So I have start somewhere and someday I have something better then HX50 :evil

Jetpilot said:
Laggy and fragile..... I used one 5 or 6 years ago and it was slow to spool compared to the new hybrids. ALso the 50 loves to go POP so keep the boost below 50# and be gentle.

Doug

With a stock cast wheel yes i agree they love to POP!

But with a good billet wheel they are great!!!! 50+ PSI and the truck is pulled a lot!

They are a great charger with the right parts.

Zach

DieselTweaker said:
With a stock cast wheel yes i agree they love to POP!

But with a good billet wheel they are great!!!! 50+ PSI and the truck is pulled a lot!

They are a great charger with the right parts.

Zach

It is not the wheel but rather the shaft..... I had one that was tough, problem is it was only one not every one, I popped several trying to get one that would work. Nothing really was different about it than the others its just for some reason it lived. JR Adkinds did some work with the 50 and 55 and had a little better luck than normal but his still huffed routinely. This is an old school turbo that normally does not last especially above 50#. Why try to make one live when there are so many better choices out there that will spool better, have greater cooling, support higher HP, and are much more durable?

Theres a Hx50 still running on a 2.8 truck , its pushing 50 + with DP in the 120+ range .The guys dont understand why it hasnt blown , quit of few tractor guys use these and push them into the 70lb range somehow, granted they will blow soon

I've got a hybrid hx50 from scheids on my truck. I was talking a few months ago about people saying the shafts are weak. Here's what I was told. Yes, the shafts break, but not because of them being a small or weak shaft. The front cover is cast fairly thin compared to other chargers. At high boost levels, the intake charge is actually warm enough to warp the compressor housing, causing contact with the compressor wheel, and snap goes the 50. BTW, I've run this charger for 2+ years at pressure levels of 60+. The only problem I had was a seal on the exhaust side. On a 24 valve, I like it much more than the gt4294 with the 1.15 t4 housing I tried this year.
andy

Andy thanks for the comparison and info!! How did Schied's compensate for the thin housing? Is that the hybrid part?

Andy where did your get your HX50 from?? :)
The 1.15 housing is much bigger than the housing that is on the HX50.