HX52 spool?

billybob86

We put a hx 52 (66/71/16) on a stock 5.9 manual and I'm having trouble getting it to spool. I tried lowering and raising the timing with limited results. Anyone successly do this?

Attachments

• Levi Timing Table.jpg
    Levi Timing Table.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 0
Its getting plenty of fuel, very smokey til the turbo lights. Would love to tune out the smoke and get it more drivable on the street

12v? 24v? Commonrail?

hx52 lites better with port work and a cam. Otherwise, it will be a smokey pig on the street, especially with a manual trans.

put a smaller turbine housing on it, should help drastically. of course just make sure its for a 71...

12v? 24v? Commonrail?

hx52 lites better with port work and a cam. Otherwise, it will be a smokey pig on the street, especially with a manual trans.

this is in the EFI tuning section... and a manual trans would actually help the cause, an auto makes it terrible. especially with a low stall converter. And no it wont be a smoke pig on the street with a smaller housing, if my auto VP can spool a 66 with the larger 74mm turbine wheel with a tight auto with minimal smoke a CR with a 66/71/?<16 along with DECENT EFI tuning should be smokeless. Ive witnessed multiple CRs with 66/74/.91 T4s run perfectly standard and auto. I think that housing is just too damn big $.02

this is in the EFI tuning section... and a manual trans would actually help the cause, an auto makes it terrible. especially with a low stall converter. And no it wont be a smoke pig on the street with a smaller housing, if my auto VP can spool a 66 with the larger 74mm turbine wheel with a tight auto with minimal smoke a CR with a 66/71/?<16 along with DECENT EFI tuning should be smokeless. Ive witnessed multiple CRs with 66/74/.91 T4s run perfectly standard and auto. I think that housing is just too damn big $.02

Why would you say a manual trans will make it light better?

Why would you say a manual trans will make it light better?

better control of the rpms, having a full load on the motor since there is no slippage with a stick the charger likes to light better, as an auto wont place a full load on the motor until you hit lockup in 3rd. a tight auto sucks on a large charger trust me on that...

I understand the obvious advantage that an auto, once the turbo is lit will stay lit as opposed to a standard loosing psi in between shifts but im talking about starting off the initial lighting of the charger would be easier (not comparing an auto boosted launch)

Last edited:
The Torque converter allows the rpms to come up and spool the charger easier with an auto. I had an nv5600 in my truck with a little 63mm turbo, after I swapped to the auto and am running a s469 I believe your theory is wrong. I understand what you are saying, but from my experience I don't agree.

Its an 06 commonrail and yes, efilive tuned. Its gotten lots better since we tuned it but I still have smoke and the charger not lighting til 1800-1900. Any timing, fuel pressure sweet spots for building heat to spool the turbo without making excessive smoke?

With EFILive an HX52 will spool very well. I've ran these chargers for years, way before EFILive existed for Cummins and never had spool up issues. It's all in the tuning. I'm very confused why you have the timing table setup the way it is but then again I can't see the other tables in your tune.

Last edited:
Your running way to much timing in the spool area.

Dont be afraid to run ATDC (negative) timing to get the charger going.

More fuel isn't going to help, a lot of times it has a negative effect on spooling the charger.

Remember, timing is heat control. Late timing puts the heat out at the charger, early puts the heat on the piston.

You can easily run that charger with stock nozzles with a good tune.

The Torque converter allows the rpms to come up and spool the charger easier with an auto. I had an nv5600 in my truck with a little 63mm turbo, after I swapped to the auto and am running a s469 I believe your theory is wrong. I understand what you are saying, but from my experience I don't agree.

Chargers are load driven, yes rpm help, but load has a lot to do with it. Go hook 8k to the back of your truck and take it down the road, it will spool the charger much sooner. Same applies to a converter in lock up, where as an unlocked converter doesn't put full load on the truck.

I can see what your saying. It just feels like my truck likes the auto better than the stick as far as spool goes.

Chargers are load driven, yes rpm help, but load has a lot to do with it. Go hook 8k to the back of your truck and take it down the road, it will spool the charger much sooner. Same applies to a converter in lock up, where as an unlocked converter doesn't put full load on the truck.

I knew I wasnt crazy!

The op's performance issue lies in tuning, not the transmission.

I concur I have riden in countless efi tuned trucks with massive singles and minimal lag and smoke, hell my buddy's 08 (granted a 6.7 still...) is running a GT4202R aka 75mm ball bearing EFI tuned auto and runs awesome he can drive absolutely smokeless even on a big tune, its alllll in the tuning.

What about a late second event till it lights? If not, I agree that the timing is too aggressive under the charger.