I have questions about stacking........

crewgirl

Inmate #28
So, I want something to stack with my Dr. P box. I talked to people about what they have and what they're tried and all that. I've pretty much decided on a Smarty. But thats not my question, my question is this: Is stacking a bad idea?
I've been told by a few people that its not worth it.

For those that don't know my truck is an 01 still has a stock vp and the only engine mods are a Dr. Performance stage 4 (adds fuel and timing, is a wire tap and plugs into the MAP) and some 50 hp DDP injectors.

It doesnt plug into the CAN or the VP44 harness?

Anna you need some kind of fuel system before you kill your vp-44 then worry about performance. Injection pumps arent cheap.

Gauges and a Fuel system Anna,

The only thing to stach with that box would be a smarty from the sound of it. Or you could remove the wire tap of the DR.P box and stack a TST with it.

Yeah I'm pretty sure its already dying. It's the only thing that explains my ****ty fuel mileage.

Well if you know its dying I would save up for a injection pump/fuel system. Trust me You would rather try and save the vp then add a little more power.

I'm trying to compose my christmas list! I know I need gauges, and thats the next thing I'm doing. I'm planning on getting an Airdog soon, and then an injection pump if I need it. It's just that while I've been doing my research for a programmer I've had people tell me thats its either a) stupid to stack on a 24v or b) not worth it for the money spent.

:doh:Yep. You best ask Santa for a Injector pump & a good fuel supply system. Then Gauges, then the Smarty. $.02

Santa (aka Daddy) likes to spoil me, but he's gonna choke if I ask for an injection pump LOL

My vote would be that stacking is not a bad idea - you just need to make sure only one of your programmers/fuel modules adds timing. Other than that I'd say go for it - after you get your vp44 problem fixed....

The smarty has settings that add no timing. I don't know for sure that I have a vp44 problem, I just think I might cuz other people with similar mods have WAY better fuel mileage than me, and I have a phantom hiccup that's showing up more and more often.

:doh:Yep. You best ask Santa for a Injector pump & a good fuel supply system. Then Gauges, then the Smarty. $.02

i agree :Cheer: and i dont want to jinx you but thats what my number 3 injector pump did before it died on me.. but hopefully you dont have my luck with pumps :doh:

LOL I'm sorry I couldn't resist. But ummmmm maybe you should get me the number to your pump guy...........

Totally worth it.

Can the Dr. P Box pull Diag codes?
Can it resize tires?
Can it put 1/2 power for those damn emissions tests?

The Smarty is more than just adding HP. When my injector pump failed on the side of the road, I would have LOVED to had a code reader. I had no idea what was wrong, and the 3 turn key trick wouldn't show all the codes. So I fought with the truck in 6" of snow at 2* outside for about 3 hours.

I would get gauges next, without a doubt. Take care of the fuel system, and then start looking at stacking. In the mean time, keep your eyes open on the classifieds. If you can find a used Smarty at a good price, pick it up!

You can stack any programmer such as the Smarty, any timing box such as the Van Aaken, MVP, XZT+ or Edge EZ with the DR P box with no issues.

They claim they alter timing, and they might do it somewhat but, they don't really command timing like the above boxes do.

Anytime you add pump stretch you are technically altering timing but, the timing boxes and programmers are drastically different and they will work very well with that box.

I do however recommend you get a fuel system of some sort like everyone else has said before me.

I Just Installed The Airdog 150, And Wow What A Difference. Leads Me To Believe My Stock Lift Pump Was Going. I'm Really Glad I Added It When I Did.:woohoo: