i need educated

smokeisfun

still learnin
Hello, I am currently looking for a 3rd gen pickup for my good pickup. i dont know what to really look for as far as problems that may occure with the 2003-05 pickups, i was hoping that you 3rd gen dodge experts could tell me pros and cons of these pickups. My #1 biggest concern is drive train, which is better, auto or manual, i dont know anything about the autos, i had a 2nd gen auto, so they just scare me, i dont want to buy a $18000 pickup and then drive it a week and have to put a new trans in it. the pickup i get will be stock and stay stock, i personaly would rather have a stick but they are so hard to come by are the autos anything to worry about.

Easiest way to help me would be to say if one of you experts were to go looking for a 2003-05 3/4 ton dodge, what would you look for and i dont mean color, or short or long box. i mean, miles, electric or manual 4x4, stick or auto, specific year, ect.

thank you all for your time.

Last edited:
In My opinion, there a lot of little things you can spend time looking for but your going to have to be the judge of that. if you pay attention to a truck during a test drive certain noises and handling characteristics will tell the tale.

if you ask me the stock 47re is a ticking time bomb but the only way its gonna stay together is if you do infact keep it stock and tow light. if you find a stick it is most likely going to treat you right and will be easier on the wallet if it breaks.

other things to look for is the 53 block, worn out carrier bearing (easy fix) or any other problems you can spot by checking for slack.

im sure the guys will chime in with other important stuff but just use your head before you buy ANY truck. lay under it for a few minutes... has it been mudded? do the u joints have excessive slack? does the pinion seal leak? does it smoke? injector noise?

I guess what im trying to say is, don't buy a truck because it has 20's, or a double din head unit... take the time to take a look.

good luck

those will be the first two things i will look at, if it has big tires, or if it has a chip, either one of those and its an automatic no go. People just dont put those things on to just look nice, they use them and test them out.

thanks for the reply.

Something I keep in mind about 03-04 is the valve seat issue, I have had 2 trucks that lost them and it could be some serious damage if you do not catch them in time. Although this does not happen to everyone. My buddies 03 went at around 100,000 miles, my first 03 went a 230,000, and my current 03 lost the first ones (which took out the engine) at roughly 195,000, and again sometime after 200,000.

Not saying this will happen to every truck, but it seems pretty common with me and my buddies haha