I need to stop the hopping on the track

strokin_early99

Fat Trucks Rule
I have hopping while pulling when the tires start spinning. The tires are aired up to the max and the air bags are aired up to the max.

Would spring clamps help the rear?

Would front end limiters help the front?

I need some help to stop the hopping so I can stay on the throttle without freaking out.

Thanks,
Howard

Get a set of ladder bars on it and don't baby it out of the hole.

Howard, correct me if I am wrong, I just watched your video's from this past weekend and it appears as though your bouncing is at the end of the pull when you are low on RPM and the tires are trying to grab traction does sound about right?

I agree traction bars are needed, and I am not powerstroke guy but anyway to get the RPM's up and get those tires spining out?

I wouldn't limit the front end it should float freely and not bottom or top out the shocks.

BBD

BigBadDodge said:
Howard, correct me if I am wrong, I just watched your video's from this past weekend and it appears as though your bouncing is at the end of the pull when you are low on RPM and the tires are trying to grab traction does sound about right?

I agree traction bars are needed, and I am not powerstroke guy but anyway to get the RPM's up and get those tires spining out?

I wouldn't limit the front end it should float freely and not bottom or top out the shocks.

BBD

The hopping did happen at the end mostly. In Reno, I locked the t/c and the tires broke loose then it started hopping. Then I chickened out and let up and threw the unlock switch and got back on it. I can try to get the t/c lock faster to get the tires spinning sooner to keep the R's up. In G'ville, it just started hopping and I again chickened out because of seeing all the breaking that was happening and let up. I red line at 3350rpm currently. I will have to talk to some people to see if there is a way to get more RPM and maybe a few more ponies.

Do you think of I stop the rear from hopping the front will not hop?

Howard

Last edited:
90% of the fords I see pull around hear hop, and mostly at the end of the pull. I think the front end usually is what causes the trucks to hop. Try a set of traction bars and see if that helps, but I think it's coming from the front end. Try running a set of spring clamps up front, those seem to work pretty good. At least you got out of it Friday night unlike me:hehe:

Cole, I just watched a couple of videos of your pulls and you need something to stop the hopping as well. It seems you lift is very soft, would traction bars help hop with a soft lift? Maybe we can get group buying on traction bars from somewhere?LOL

Oh well....Sometimes you have to dream.

I will make sure I have a set of traction bars for next season. We will see what happens.

Keep Strokin'

I have been figting it all year and finally got it under control. Ladder bars, susp blocks in the back, move hitch forward as far as possible, front traction bars. Last thing that I did before Scheids was front bars and move the hitch and it never let out a peep up there and on a very sticky track as well. Getting the bounce out is alot of work once you get some power.

Reno was actually my first pull with traction bars, but the front end is so light(the trucks only at 6000 lbs.) it just comes off the ground real easily, If I'm ready by Hollister I will have a lot more weight up front. I also had limiting straps up front in Ukiah and they worked good, but not to good in Reno. I think it's the tires that are really killing me. Next year I'll have a lot of changes so we'll have to wait and see.
strokin_early99 said:
Cole, I just watched a couple of videos of your pulls and you need something to stop the hopping as well. It seems you lift is very soft, would traction bars help hop with a soft lift? Maybe we can get group buying on traction bars from somewhere?LOL

Oh well....Sometimes you have to dream.

I will make sure I have a set of traction bars for next season. We will see what happens.

Keep Strokin'

SMOKIN93 said:
Reno was actually my first pull with traction bars, but the front end is so light(the trucks only at 6000 lbs.) it just comes off the ground real easily, If I'm ready by Hollister I will have a lot more weight up front. I also had limiting straps up front in Ukiah and they worked good, but not to good in Reno. I think it's the tires that are really killing me. Next year I'll have a lot of changes so we'll have to wait and see.

I can't wait. It sound like a fully dedicated pull truck in the making. :cool:

:Cheer: