I swoled it...

That's my point it should have marks or stress indications on the shoulder near cap.....

I showed my dad some pictures and he was bettin on the rod bolt too... That was my first guess aswell then everybody said it was not the rod bolt.... so now we are all scratching our heads :poke:

Longhorn: Better luck to ya with the CR man.... my dads 05 is on its 3rd set of injectors in 115k.

Whoops, 2nd guess!

Probably lack of maintenance....

Like i said, i dont have experience widowing blocks, but when it has happened on rare occasion with some of our neighbor farmers it was always maintenance problems.... So i said what came to my mind, sorry if i was being a dick man. I feel sorry your going through this, nobody should! but hey its life. You'll come out on top im sure :)

I'm just trying to figure out if they know something now that a lot of us don't. Maybe they're switching over to this ARP L19 bolt due to A1 failures. IDK but it'd been nice to know before I purchased the A1's. That's all I'm getting at.

Yea I'm not sure. I went with the ARP's because that's what Haisley reccomended. They've been awesome so far. I'd call them for specifics. Sorry that's all I know man

Maybe it was that Fisher Price torque wrench I used........Seriously if everything else looked good as you say im leaning towards a bolt failure. What did the other bolt/cap look like and how together was it when you found it?

Who said it wasn't the bolt...Wade? Swole? Roachie?

No offense to Swole or Roachie, but Wade doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground....well he might, his head is stuck up his ass, and not in a hole in the ground....

Chris

No offense taken here Chris... I really did think that it was going to be a seized wrist pin/rod bushing or something up top.. And the bolt was stretched while getting beat up.

I'm still baffled at it!

I am SO still learning here...

Was the stretched bolt still tight in the cap, or was it loose? My thinking is if it was still tight to the cap, then either it was over-torqued, or it had a low yield and stretched way to far. I don't see how a properly torqued bolt would stretch that far, but still be tight to the cap.

Secondly, how would a bad bolt, that didn't catastrophically fail, cause the rod to catastrophically fail, all while the rod bearings not suffering any damage?

Secondly, how would a bad bolt, that didn't catastrophically fail, cause the rod to catastrophically fail, all while the rod bearings not suffering any damage?

I'd say rod failure...

This^ is now what I think....

I'm still not convinced that a stretched rod bolt with everything around it still looking good is going to be the cause.

Rod failure...

But hey , just a gut feeling and nothing more.

After following this thread for a couple days, here's what happened to me 2 years ago when I build my Ppump 24 valve, one of my A1 rod bolt did not want to hold the 90 ft/lbs torque load.

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59976

Ended up using new original Cummins rod bolts, so far so good, not to mention that I was not really impressed with A1 technologie product but that's just my story !

Picture 090.jpg

Picture 091.jpg

Picture 104.jpg

It was a 12v roachie

I was confused on which truck it was.

So what broke? If everything else looked perfect? I don't understand how a rod bolt can stretch from hitting cast?

Chris

EDIT....better pic of the broken end of the rod....break looks odd...

Who said it wasn't the bolt...Wade? Swole? Roachie?

No offense to Swole or Roachie, but Wade doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground....well he might, his head is stuck up his ass, and not in a hole in the ground....

I've been working on engines for about 10 years now, am I an expert, no...but I've seen my fair share of block windows growing up around AC engines....they like chucking #5 through the cam.

Rod bolts....

When a rod bolt looks like that, there is no way it wasn't at least related to the failure....and not by smacking the block, or cam, or anything like that. Just trying to beat itself out of the engine will NOT stretch it....if you think it will, explain it to me exactly how!

Now, I could still see it being a rod failure, but that bolt was not helping anything.

Chris

I just dont see that kind of stretch not allowing it to stack the bearings. I do see that happening when the cam was hit.

The bolt looks more like it yielded from being over torqued, not so much a shock load.

After looking at it in person, crank's fine. Cylinder bore is fine. Rod broke. Rod cap hit block, stretched bolt.

The crank didn't show any abnormal wear marks, so yep- freak casting failure.

I would think a stretched or broken bolt would result in damage to the cap/big end, not snap the I-beam halfway up.

If the breakage happened due to the rod striking something there should be some sort of indentation right at the break point. Would be interesting to see good close up shots of the break point. But like you've said it looks like simple rod failure.

Any chance that rod was dropped (as mentioned) or put in a vise or smacked with a hammer (j/k) or ? ? ?

Back