I think I messed up...

satburn

So, I thought while I had the head off and that pump was just sort of sitting there, like a pimple staring back at me, daring me to take it off and tinker. So, I did.

Anyway, I thought I would remove a little more material from the fuel plate, so today at work I stuck it in the mill and somebody bumped me and this happened...

plate.JPG

Will it be ok? :poke: :hehe:

So when are you gonna take some off of it???LOL

Thats what mine looked like from the factory!!!lol:hehe: :hehe:

Smokem said:
If you have a 215hp pump and the stock 2000 rack plug why do you need it period?

Dangit Smokem! You made me have to go read more. My first response was: But what about the infamous "stop pin"? But now after reading I see your point. My AFC is still a virgin, so I see now that it isn't an issue. I wonder how much more travel I would gain between a 0 and plateless? I'll have to do a little more playing tonight in there.

with out the afc mods it wont be much, and it will hit the rack plug before it hits the stop pin.

Alright, so when I go to play with this thing tonight, if I have the AFC off, like in your pic and the fuel plate out, again like in your pic and I have the fuel shut off as far forward as I can get, should i be able to hear or feel the rack hit the plug at the end of the pump? Then I need to adjust my AFC so that I get that same effect when I'm on full boost?

What would be the point of using a plate if the stop pin has no chance of breaking off? I'm assuming this could be done with a 100 too correct?

Smokem said:
You got it.

Muahahahahahahaha... :evil :evil :evil

I've been having fun with this.

IdleRack.JPG

WOT-Rack.JPG

IdleRackStop.JPG

WOT-RackStop.JPG

IdlePlunger.JPG

WOT-Plunger.JPG

The whole 215 plunger design vs. rack stop makes a LOT more sense now. I was a little surprised at how short the stroke was for the plunger, sort of expected more. Thanks Smokem.
:thankyou2:

Sorry guys dumb question but what advantages do you gain by eliminating the fuel plate?

Justin

What could be deemed an advantage to myself, may not be an advantage for you. Keep in mind,

<-- I'm doing this with my truck, street performance is taking a back seat.

By elimating the fuel plate, I'm allowing for full fuel at full boost, I still retain my AFC and with a valet switch, "some" streetability. But, when the AFC slides all the way back, there is no second plate to control fueling, its WFO until the govenor says its had enough.

This thread is going in my top 5 of "best threads ever" list. Awesome!

Ken in AZ said:
This thread is going in my top 5 of "best threads ever" list. Awesome!

Ken, dude, put the beer down, I don't think its that good, but thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
how much rack travel is too much???

Cuz i drilled out the end of my rack plug and welded 1/4-1/2inch of the correct I.D. pipe for the rack to go into... then i welded a thin piece of metal on the end to close the end of the plug up... then put it back on.
No shimming or nothing. All i did was make my own rack plug that is about 1/2 or a little more deeper than stock. WIth the custom plate i put in, the shutoff solenoid up, and throttle maxed out, the rack does NOT hit the plug at WOT!

what im asking is..... is this bad for a 180 pump in the long run Via actual plunger and rack system??

also, is this bad in ANYWAY for a 180 pump?? Because i have been running it like this for about 10 months now with no problems whatsoever!

Lance

i have no plate or afc housing on mine havent had ne problems with the pin supposedly breaking but with the pump modified and not enuff air i did have the motor break once on the dyno

oldsmokey97 said:
how much rack travel is too much???
what im asking is..... is this bad for a 180 pump in the long run Via actual plunger and rack system??

also, is this bad in ANYWAY for a 180 pump??

WOT-Plunger.JPG

The pic above shows you my plunger @ WOT and the stock rack plug in place. Its my understanding that my 215 pump has that "valley" cut into the top of the plunger, whereas your pump does not. If I send my rack any farther out the front door, it doesn't do any good because my plunger is blocking the fill hole in the bore.

yah but what im asking is.... is there a point (with a 180 pump) where you have too much rack travel??? as in where damage to pump will occur??

lance