I think my head gaskets are gone..

1SickHarley

Torque Monger
I believe my head gaskets have FINALLY gone. Either that or my EGR cooler. A couple of days after I added my SCT, whenever I jump on it I smell antifreeze burning. I have 65K on my truck and I'm not one of those whiney babies saying Ford should fix it. I did it so I'll fix it, if that's the case. My question is at what point are the Fire rings from ATS needed? If they are gone, I plan on doing headstuds obviously, but should I do the o-ring ordeal also. Also, what are o-ring headgaskets? Are they the same as o-ringing the head and block? I'm kinda in the dark about this. I eventually want to add injectors and a Turbonetics turbo down the line. Can I get a little advice here from some people who know? Can I get away with studs and better gaskets, or just go ahead and do the whole Papschmear? I'd hate doing something if it's not needed ya know? Chances are though it could just be the EGR cooler. Degas bottle is empty, no puking, still runs like a bat outta hell, just smell coolent. I must have a Wednesday truck b/c I know buddies after 20K had headgaskets blown. I have to take the truck in Wed. for a new power steering pump(due to a drunk night of 4 wheeling) and was going to have them do a leak down test to comfirm. Any help would be greatly apprecaited. Hopefully this is my excuse to finally build a sick motor. While it's apart, you may as well do it ya know?

just get yourself some ARP Headstuds and use the four ply head gaskets from ford they can do that job for you

ARPs and updated gaskets from ford is all you will need

Sorry to hear about your troubles. The studs with the new gaskets work great so far!! Whe you do your next cold start,pull the coolant bottle cap off and cover the bottle with you hand. Usually if the gaskets on these are blown you will feel the compression on a cold start.

If I add a bigger turbo and injectors it's still the way to go? Are the new Ford head gaskets different than the old ones? Chances are it could just be the EGR cooler but who knows.. What are signs of blown head gaskets b/c the truck still runs like a raped ape. I've heard of other head gaskets that come with some type of O-Ring. I'm just clueless at this point. I know a good deal about trucks, but, kinda clueless at this point in my future endevers.

The new gaskets from Ford that I install are 5-layer,but the bead around each cylinder bore is wider. The torque spec and sequence changed just a bit. After each job we are supposed to recalibrate the pcm,which I've been told by some guys has limited their programmer use afterwards. The studs are the way to go in my opinion.

I used the wire ring gaskets from hypermax. I have run a ton of propane through my truck. I have bigger injectors and a big non vvt turbo and I have never lost a drop of coolant.

Retorical said:
I used the wire ring gaskets from hypermax. I have run a ton of propane through my truck. I have bigger injectors and a big non vvt turbo and I have never lost a drop of coolant.

what are you running retorical (both gear and numbers)? i thought you just had the studs, SCT intake and exhaust?

I am running Hypermax 100hp injectors, MSD Propane, and a Industrial Inj Silver Bullet 66mm Turbo, banks intercooler. I have never ran the truck at the track but it wil bark the 41's pretty hard at 45mph. 42+ lbs of boost 1300deg egts.

have any of you guys experienced the sound of boost leaking out of the degas bottle? mine is doing it a lot now. fire rings are in order to be done with it. mine puked a couple of times so I blocked the egr exhaust port (up pipe mod) that did not stop the puking. then the funny little whistle from the degas bottle started.

The whistle you talk about is it when your on the throttle then get off it makes a low whistle noise? My truck is in need of gaskets and studs and noticed this whistle about a week ago. Almost sounds like a hole in the intercooler hose.

Mine whistled like a teakettle everytime you would put load on the engine. It puked so bad I actually saw the guy behind me turn on his wipers. lol