ICP sensor from underneath

snowbound

Thanks TIM,:bow: I did my ICP sensor from underneath , and did not have to remove the heat shield.:woohoo: Like he said , took all of 2 minutes once you get your arm wiggled up in there. I was afraid it wouldn't come back out though ! I'm 6'4" and have big arms ( big scratched up ones ) but this is the ONLY way to do it. The plug was full of oil so I'll tackle the pigtail tomorrow. Provided I can find it and pull it out far enough.

Glad it worked out. Its the only way to do it IMHO. To get to the pigtail, go in the top, remove the 2 8mm bolts and pull the degas bottle out of the way. You can do it with the FICM in there, but its much easier if you pull it out and unplug the harness. Just be real careful not to bend the prongs. Getting an old pillow or seat cushion and laying on the engine will give you both hands free to do it.

Thats a tough job......Not fun....Kind of like jacking off a bobcat in a phone booth!!

wait wait i assume since its on the rear this is 03 what is the hat trick here?

Sensor was a piece of cake , the pigtail on the other hand. . . !!?? Took an hour and a half. Mostly trying to line it back up to plug in. Fired right up , cleared the code , pulled it outside to try find out what the horrible vibration / rattle was. Pulled it back in , got the FLASHLIGHT back that I had left on the back of the turbo , poof , no more noise. Does anyone else have a truck that eats sockets ?? Just takes em and never gives em back ! Did find some extra bolts on top of the tranny though !! Fuel lines next !

Sensor was a piece of cake , the pigtail on the other hand. . . !!?? Took an hour and a half. Mostly trying to line it back up to plug in. Fired right up , cleared the code , pulled it outside to try find out what the horrible vibration / rattle was. Pulled it back in , got the FLASHLIGHT back that I had left on the back of the turbo , poof , no more noise. Does anyone else have a truck that eats sockets ?? Just takes em and never gives em back ! Did find some extra bolts on top of the tranny though !! Fuel lines next !

Yup..I have one on the up pipe clamp. It just won't come off. I call it extra bling.

Gonna use the new guy card on this one. What's the difference between an 03-04 ICP change and an 05 - 07? My truck has been slowly idling rough at a light, like a miss that you can feel just in the general vibration of the truck, no performance issues. I figured it was that and was going to reference Tim's writeup

In 03 and early 04, the ICP sensor is on the HPOP cover back behind the turbo, and is a major PITA to get to. On the late 04 and up, they are on the passenger side valve cover, and easy to get to. Yours will be a piece of cake to change.

Thanks Tim. Does the same advice apply to changing the pigtail, or is that only because you are already in there and don't wanna deal with it twice for the 03 - 04?

I had the surging idle problem but never a CEL. After re-installing the FICM the light came on right away. The truck sat for 5 weeks , I guess it had lots of soak time. Look at the plug and sensor , mine was FULL of oil. I had both sensor and pigtail so planned to do both anyway. Got mine on Ebay for way cheaper than our Canadian ford dealer !! We've got snow and below zero temps . . . and no , that ain't normal , it just plain sucks. I've got some more FISHIN to do !!

Check to make sure your IPR connector is seated right. Reach back there with it running, and try to wiggle it. If it dies, the plug is not seating right.

Thanks Tim. Does the same advice apply to changing the pigtail, or is that only because you are already in there and don't wanna deal with it twice for the 03 - 04?

Yes, the pigtail on the 04.5 and up are easy to get to. If you have oil on the connector portion of the ICP, you need a new pigtail. Water won't affect the signal, but oil will, and if there is oil on that plug, it needs to be replaced.

Does anybody have the P/N for the pigtale? I called my local dealership and they said they have nothing in the books for the ICP sensor/ EBP sensor. I tried decribing it to them and still nothing. They don't deal with very many diesels. LOL

-French