IF you had a choice of transmissions?

Puller810

I have started my restoration\12 valve Ve swap into a 2005 f350 CCSB 4x4 that had a 6.0/5r110 drivetrain. Frame has been blasted, por15's and raptor lined, axles the same, front end rebuild so the chassis is finished. Body work is being done now while I have the cab off as the underside will be coated on both the cab & box in white raptor liner.

I picked up a 93' Ve engine that I intend on running approx 275-300 hp at the wheels power wise but mainly focused on tq as its my weekend warrior tow vehicle from 8k-15k at times in Michigan 90% hwy. Truck is sitting on 35's with 3:73 gears which I think will work great with the Cummins tq curve for towing at 70 mph.

Retaining the 5r110 is doable but honestly I'd rather have a manual for reliability/towing and there is no tuning necessary.

My question, which trans? Why? ZF6, Nv4500, Nv5600 or possibly G56 (which may be a little out of my budget on this project). Will these live a decent life at 750lbs of tq and towing. I had 3 G56 equipped Dodges when I had a hotshot business and all three had six gear fail between 120-140k (towing much more than 14k on a daily basis however).

NV5600 would get the nod for me. 6 forward speeds and cast iron case. Tougher than a G56. It has been my favorite towing transmission so far. NV4500's is a tough sob no doubt, but less than ideal for a tow vehicle IMO. To big of a gear spread (esp 3rd to 4th) when towing heavy for my liking. I've got no experience with the ZF stuff.

NV5600 would get the nod for me. 6 forward speeds and cast iron case. Tougher than a G56. It has been my favorite towing transmission so far. NV4500's is a tough sob no doubt, but less than ideal for a tow vehicle IMO. To big of a gear spread (esp 3rd to 4th) when towing heavy for my liking. I've got no experience with the ZF stuff.

I agree. There is a reason they moved away from the 4500. That gear split is ridiculous especially when towing, towing heavy, or towing in decent hills.

I wouldn't choose a manual trans... especially with the advancements in auto transmissions.

Last edited:
X2 on nv5600. 5 speed is 3rd to 4th is too much as Mooner said. G56 is another option you would never tear it up behind a ve I wouldn't think. They are also fairly cheap to pick up compares to nv5600 from my findings. Zfs I've never had one but guys complain about them running warm when towing. They are also aluminum cased which imo is weaker

The owner of the shop that works on my truck has a 12v with a zf6. It makes a ton of power and the reason he did the swap is because he says the 4500 doesn't hold up well at all to exhaust braking with heavy loads. Something about weak thrust bearings. I have no personal experience. The adapters are rich though.

Last edited:
I put an NV4500 in my Ford. I also just got done 500+ miles towing about 14k with my friend's NV5600 equipped truck. I'll pony up for the 6th gear on my next truck, it shifts like butter and the gear split is perfect.

NV5600 for me I love mine, only thing I don't like is the reverse placement. That being said its a great shifting trans, even with my 3.54s in my 90 its a great match.

In your exact case, g56. Smoother, quicker, lighter. In my opinion, you'll never hurt the g56.

I believe he would have to "massage" the transmission tunnel to fit the G56. Not a deal breaker, and not tough to do. If I were to do a manual I would probably go with the G56 if for no other reason than it is way overrated for his engine output, and parts availability if something does happen. Finding quality parts for the 5600 is damn near impossible.

I liked towing with my G56's in my other trucks. Didn't like the early models with the higher OD though. Never drove a truck with a nv4500 so I can't comment. Liked the NV5600 I had in my 2002 when new but the parts sourcing and dollar amount has me concerned some as I will be buying used. Liked the one ZF6 I towed with but it had a 7.3 behind it which pulls completely different than the Cummins does in my opinion.
Auto's have came a long way but my 5r110 would need to be rebuild before stuffing it in (220k on it). By time I bought the lower tq converter for the cummins, flywheel, adapter and rebuilt I'd be over $5k and that doesn't include the tuning cost to get it shifting correctly for the cummins repower. I'm trying to keep my project under $20k including the new paint and interior.

Any manual you get you will have to "massage" the trans tunnel. There different between a 5r110 and Zf6.
As for what trans. I would stick with one offered behind the Cummins. Adapter plates are expensive and so are flywheels.

I have a 12v behind the 4r100 with a Pcs controller works awesome and tows even better. If it wasn't for needing my wife's "help" at the boat landing at time it it or have had a G56 in in.

I taught my wife how to drive a manual lol! I took her car for a week and a half. All four of our trucks at the time had manuals. She figured it out. I tried many times before to teach her. Nothing like necessity to motivate.
So it sounds like G56 or Nv5600 will be the best action. Not a big fan of the adapters myself but I will have to change the engine adapter to work with the G56 or NV5600 I believe. Hopefully they both can work with my 271 t-case. I think I'd have to change my input gear on it to match the spline count though. Thanks for the input fellas!