I'm about to use this dynomite to fix this truck...

pullinpower

I need see what the resident guru's think... I started with a grand plan to save some cash and rebuild my tired (but running) 48re myself . Ordered all the clutches and steels (raybestos stage 2 and koleene steels), new rigid intermediate band, new bushings, seals, single disk converter, valve body, new sprags, torrington bearings, and new updated pistons.
First off, want to say I really like the converter and VB. got everything back together and dropped a converter bolt behind the flex plate, pulled it all back out and pulled the plate to get it. Ten got it all back together and it had a rattle noise coming from the the bellhousing. Towed the truck to a friends shop and called the converter co. ( who by the way, is the best people in the world to deal with). Came to the conclusion that the converter bolts might have come loose or the plate might be cracked. Tore everything back out ordered a PRW platinum series SFI plate ,had it shipped 2nd day air. only to find out that some billet front cover TC's don't fit on the plate. So I went down to the dealer and bought a stock plate and new bolts. Meanwhile, my friend ( who owns a transmission shop and builds diesel trannys for a living) went through the whole transmission with me to double check it. We got everything back together on thurs. pressures all checked out good, ran good. only thing that had me concerned was the temps. runing in traffic unlocked it would go to 160-170 ( good ) locked up on the interstate it would run 130(good) stop at a drivethrough and it shoots up to 190-205.
Then it all start to unravel yesterday, started to get a bad light throttle 1-2 hunt. came home droped the pan and installed a new borg-warner pressure solenoind and transducer. (seemed to fix it). went out and test drove the truck. after about 20 miles it started to intermintly lock up in 2nd and shift to 3rd and OD locked. Now it locks in 2nd all the time.
Could this be the TCC solenoid? any suggestions as to what to check?

Just took the truck for a good long drive. I forgot to say, this truck is bone stock, I have the smarty off it until I get this tranny figured out.
I let the truck warm up in netruel, ran great for the 1st 15 miles ,shifted great, converter felt good, then it started to act crazy. Locked the converter in 2nd, stacked the shifts, now I'm getting a bind between 2nd-3rd. Sorta feels like a bad flair then bam it's in 3rd and locks up at 40 mph and the rattle is back

Okay, after alot of driving today I've come to the conclusion that it has to be electrical. If I really put my foot in it, the shifts are firm and nicely spaced, feels really good and pulls hard. If I use light throttle (like stop and go traffic)I get a bad flair or bind shift between 2nd and 3rd. and TC locks up at 30 mph. Anyone else ever see anything like this? And rechecked converter bolts , all are tight.The rattle is intermittent, it will only do it in park or nutreul, but once it starts if you shut the truck down and restart it it's gone.

Is it a flair or bind? If your rpms jump between shifts then your band is too loose, if it feels like its in both gears at the same time for a split sec the the band is to tight.

Ok so i know nothing about trannys and this will probably prove that to you. I know a lock up switch works by grounding the wire, and you say it might be a wiring issue could you have a short or something in your harness grounding out as you go down the road. I only say this cause you said it locks up at speeds as low as 30mph

What year is it 2004? I had a similar problem. All it was, was the cable adjustment.
Whatever the cable is called, I forget. Adjust it by ever so slightly bending it forward or back a tiny bit. Test drive, rebend. You have to bend the mount as there is NO adjustment. On driver side of trans.

It worked a miracle with mine. Remember which way you bent it, Slightly, I mean 1/8 inch or less each time. Test drive. rebend more you'll notice big shift changes.

Only 300 miles on the new transmission. I have checked and cleaned every ground, replaced the harness from the bellhousing to all the transmission connection points, inspected the valvebody for broken wires or sticky valves. It only act crazy when it gets up to operating temps. In traffic temps go through the roof( scary hot). 2-3 shift hits so hard that it feels like it's going to break something. I have driven it with a DRB hooked up and nothing shows up wierd and no codes get stored. I'm at a lose . Time to send back the TC and Valvebody.

Where did the valve body come from? Have you test driven the truck with a pressure gauge on the accumulator piston to see where the pressure is set?

Back