Im no electrician

'Powerstroke7.3

Hearing Impaired
SOOO. I will post the problem here and if you want to read the rest later then be my guest. Just a series of events leading up to the tragedy. I fried something installing this TC lockup and now my speedo, tach, wont work and I cant get to overdrive. Not a fuse. We checked all of them under the hood and in the cab. I have no clue where to start.

:cheer:GO ME!!!!!!!

I will be the first to tell ya I'm no electrician. I don't mess with wires. If I can avoid them, then the better off the world would be. Even in my job as an aircraft mechanic I am supposed to know how to wire but I try to stay away. So when installing this TC lockup that I wanted I enlisted the help of a good friend of mine who is great at this stuff. Only thing was I got a handle of crown to make the job a little more enjoyable. So we started drinking and after a hard nights work no food and a half gallon of whiskey we started the project. The wiring looks immaculate. I really mean it. Its beautiful. To do a job like that with anti interference wire, heat shrink, fire/heat proof conduit, so on and so forth takes alot of time. By the time we got to the switch we were WASTED. I bought a switch and it just so happened to have a light in it. Hooking power to that light is where we went terribly wrong since this is essentially a dual ground system.

dual ground system? not sure what that means. and i havent put in a lockup switch so i dont know how it wires in, but i cant see it bieng to technical. maby a fuseable link somewhere you havent found. best thing to do is get the shop manual and look at the wiring schematics.

Do you mean you put 12v on one side and the other to the torque converter? Ouch. I hope not. I'll see if I can get into some manuals and look around a bit. It's the truck in your sig., right?

A switch with a light wont work. You just need to ground the system.

Yeah its the truck in my sig. 95 12v. I put the lockup in and it works. It wont shift into OD though. When I introduced 12 dc power to the 3 way switch it fried the switch and something else that allows my truck to shift into OD. My speedo and tach dont work either. I dont know if its in the cluster or not. Thanks for the help.

Daniel.

Yes sir. JJeepyjohn went through it with the circut tester and didnt find any fuses bad.

man i'm a really bad electrician then, I couln't get the switch with the light to work, oh well

stupid ? but did you check for voltage on both sides of the fuse because one side will still have voltage with the fuse blown.

Yeah. We went through all of them. I am currently looking for my haynes manual for the truck.

Just to clarify above. When I said dual ground system, what I was trying to say was that you are splicing one wire that is a ground to the TC and putting it to another ground on the truck. You are grounding out the ground wire on the TC. I really have no idea if that is correct, but thats the way I understood it. LOL

Took the ole girl to the tranny shop today. So I should know by tomorrow what the deal is in case anyone else wants to fry some chit too. LOL

I did mine simple.

Foot switch for high/low beam mounted to the floor.

LED mounted in my A pillar gauge holder thing.

Run 12v power to one leg of the LED, other leg goes to TCC lockup wire.

When I turn the switch on, it grounds the circuit which lights the LED and locks the convertor.

When I turn it off, it just has 12v coming from the LED and the TCC lockup and no ground, so no light and no lockup.

Also the benefit of doing it this was is the ECM grounds the TCC lockup when you first turn the key on as part of the self test. Well the LED kicks on as well so it is basically a light bulb test.

What ended up being the problem? I suck at wiring and just pulled of the same thing :doh:

all I did was splice a wire into the wire that goes to pin 54,ran it inside the cab to the switch, Then ran a different wire from the switch to ground on the dash its metal so pick anywhere. Flip the switch and it locks dont flip it and works like normal. I have the 47rh also.

Back