im stumped on this 06 commonrail.

B.M.F Racing.

long story short! had a 2006 cummins with 176k in my shop last week. had all the singns of a bad head gasket. "milky oil"pulled the head put new gasket on and a local machine shop pressure test, clean and put in new valves and seals in the head.

guy calls me yesterday and says that he had to add a gallon of water to the radiator. but the oil was clean.

then today he calls and said the oil is kinda milky and the oil cap has white stuff under neath it.

my thought is that the oil cooler is bad?

ive serched on here and from what ive read when the oil coolers go normaly theres oil in the coolant and not coolant in oil.

someone help me out here im stumped on this thing

Did the machinist check the head for warpage?
That it sealed up at first, then started putting coolant in the oil is a good indicator of a warped head or block.

Mark.

Could be the plugs under the tappet cover leaking.

Pressure test and look for leaks. Might have to start pulling parts.

Tobin

Head and block definitely needed to be checked for flatness. I believe spec to be - Max allowable warp End To End is 0.012". Max allowable warp Side To Side is 0.003". Needs to be as flat as possible with the proper smoothness aswell.

Tobin

all the plugs looked good.... ive had that prob with popping them out twice in my drag truck. now i have threaded ones.

Head and block definitely needed to be checked for flatness. I believe spec to be - Max allowable warp End To End is 0.012". Max allowable warp Side To Side is 0.003". Needs to be as flat as possible with the proper smoothness aswell.

i never checked the block. and the head checked out fine.

so nobody thinks the oil cooler?

Did the machinist check the head for warpage?
That it sealed up at first, then started putting coolant in the oil is a good indicator of a warped head or block.

Mark.

not to sure on this. flushed the oil 3 times till it was clean.

im hoping thats all it is. iknow it takes a while to get the water out of the engine but it taking another gallon of water to top off the radiator worries me

I would be honest with the customer and explain it could be multiple things going on. You have taken the right steps to diagnosis the problem so far. It also shows you care by going out and seeking the possibility of there be other issues. Keep us posted!

Tobin

all the plugs looked good.... ive had that prob with popping them out twice in my drag truck. now i have threaded ones.

I thought we were talking about an 06 engine here??? The CR blocks dont have tappet covers....

Dedfinatley worth a try on the oil cooler. But did the machine shop resurface the head?