Improve fuel mileage with W/M?

Flowmeister

allow room for expansion
Anybody done a serious test of fuel economy improvement with water or water/meth? Meaning A:B comparison, no other changes. If improved, what mix? 50/50 likely the best? What kit and how was it programmed?

Anybody try nitrous as a mileage enhancer (besides Dimitri M.) and how was that set up?

There was a guy at DPC a while back who used 50/50 and I think got about 3mpg better than he normally got with just straight diesel and used about 2qts of w/m mix.

Don't worry about MPG, there is no way the difference could ever pay for the system let alone save any money. With the cost of methanol the savings is in the pennies per tank of fuel range. Water alone will not alter fuel economy at all.

Last edited:
Exactly the only differnce would be like a car on 87 octane or 93. I'm not gonna see the that difference pay out

There was a guy at DPC a while back who used 50/50 and I think got about 3mpg better than he normally got with just straight diesel and used about 2qts of w/m mix.

How far did that 2qts get him? A full tank, and it would be worth it. Even a full gallon of w/m to a tank would make it worth it. Thats like an extra 45 miles with a gallon or less of w/m.

If he actually drove that far on 2qts.

Exactly the only differnce would be like a car on 87 octane or 93

Wrong. Octane has nothing to do with mileage, its only a measurement of its resistance to detonation. The only way octane can affect MPG is through allowing more advanced ignition timing.

W/M increases MPG by physically displacing diesel. Only a certain amount of power is needed to move a vehicle at a constant speed, so injecting methanol reduces the amount of diesel needed to be injected.
The problem is the methanol is nearly the same cost BTU:BTU so the money savings is extremely small, but there nonetheless.