Index Racing ... Fact vs. Fiction

I agree with indexing, always have. Sportsman racing is designed for the non Pro racers. Indexing controls speed true, but it also controls cost to be competitive. I have always hated how much it cost to be competitive in Pro Street and the field was slow to grow due to it.

Bottom line is the promoters want trucks going down the track. if there are trucks committed to racing, someone will create the class.

I agree with indexing, always have. Sportsman racing is designed for the non Pro racers. Indexing controls speed true, but it also controls cost to be competitive. I have always hated how much it cost to be competitive in Pro Street and the field was slow to grow due to it.

Bottom line is the promoters want trucks going down the track. if there are trucks committed to racing, someone will create the class.

Told you guys he ^^^^ was till around LOL

Good to see you Dave. Hope all is well.

I agree totally Dave. Cost is a big concern, pretty much anyone can read and or pay someone and build a 9 second truck, but the cost is astronomical. Let me tell you. But it isnt that bad really to build a consistant 10, or 10.5 second truck. BUT with the current rules, if you make a consistant 10 or 10.5 second truck you dont really fit into the rules for those times... ie, fuel cell, weight, tires etc. Myself I am regulated to pro street now, and it is tough, you have to build a 1000+ hp engine, and all the supporting mods,, and even then you are going to run into guys with much bigger pocket books, that can afford better suspensions etc. Whereas if everyone in your class had to run a 10,0 or a 10.5 etc class, it would take some of that cost out,, especially the upgrades from year to year to remain competitive.

I personally could see at some point in the future a class for at least every second, if not every half second from 10.9 and faster... I think it would help guys make that jump from the 11.x to a faster truck

I agree totally Dave. Cost is a big concern, pretty much anyone can read and or pay someone and build a 9 second truck, but the cost is astronomical. Let me tell you. But it isnt that bad really to build a consistant 10, or 10.5 second truck. BUT with the current rules, if you make a consistant 10 or 10.5 second truck you dont really fit into the rules for those times... ie, fuel cell, weight, tires etc. Myself I am regulated to pro street now, and it is tough, you have to build a 1000+ hp engine, and all the supporting mods,, and even then you are going to run into guys with much bigger pocket books, that can afford better suspensions etc. Whereas if everyone in your class had to run a 10,0 or a 10.5 etc class, it would take some of that cost out,, especially the upgrades from year to year to remain competitive.

I personally could see at some point in the future a class for at least every second, if not every half second from 10.9 and faster... I think it would help guys make that jump from the 11.x to a faster truck

I don't think there will ever be enough interest in diesel drag racing to have that many classes. And racing in a class with only 2 or 3 trucks isn't any fun either. Since most of us agree that this is a good way to go, how do we convince the powers that be this is a good idea?

What I would hate to see is this develop like the gas world has with throttle stops etc, that is so boring. I hate to see a hot car launch then die for some preset time then turn on and go like hell and hit the number on the money. the only way I would ever support this approach is if there where no electronics allowed.

The current Prostreet class usually has so many of the entries break that if you just turn down the power and bide you time you can many times won by attrition.

Case in point look how well Mark Ventling has done in that class with that big heavy lifted truck that he took the front Diff out of and made a 2x4. Thing weighs close to 7500 lbs if not more. He took out the Smith truck in the 2010 world finals because Seth couldn't get any traction. Sometimes you just have to be lucky. the hare doesn't always win.

Greg,
I suspect you will find tracks in general much less accommodating of under-the-limit passes than Cecil is.

As much as I like index racing, what is the goal of proposing these classes? To replace the current mix of brackets, index, and no-breakout classes? I personally think that the existing classes are working pretty well given the economic climate. Heck, despite the existence of mid-low 9 second Super-Street trucks, you still see rounds being won by high 10-second trucks.

BTW - would you allow deep staging in your proposed classes?

Michael,

I think you would be surprised how most tracks would react if talked to in advance. Besides, worse case scenario is you make it so people can't qualify with a pass under the index. They do it once and get a warning. If the 2nd qualifying pass is under also, they don't qualify and are done.

The purpose of proposing these classes is to allow ANYONE and EVERYONE to race which in turn will promote more participation. While the current mix of classes works for the people who actually show up and race, they do very little to intiice new participation.

Examples:

11.50-

There is a pile of street trucks sitting in the parking lot at races that should be on the track. The typical response from those drivers as reasons why they are not racing is they don't want to run brackets and they don't want to slow down to 12.0. An 11.50 class solves this.

10.00-

People that have committed themselves to building some sort of race/street car/truck with a rollbar and proper safety equipment. The way the classes are now they have to build or modify their vehicle to meet certain, seemingly random rules that vary from one organization to the next. Then to top that off, they find out they would be jumping into the deep end of the pool with a few 8 and 9 sec. sharks. There is not much incentive for new racers to enter the fray. 10.00 allows anyone to bring whatever combo/setup they have built regardless, run heads up and know they can be competitive in the class.

8.50-

Would be for the top teams in the current ProStreet and SuperStreet classes and give the fast 10.00 guys somewhere to move to when they step it up.

And yes...Deep Staging allowed but Auto Start always on. ;)

I really like the index racing classes, and I also agree it would have to be no electronics. The new 11.90 class the nhrda has is really fun to race and to watch. Its alot funner to watch two trucks battle it out neck and neck down the track trying to hit the index. Its also alot funner to compete that way I think.

I'm building my dakota to be competitive in 11.90 index. Hell, if they had an 11.50 index I would run that too. I'm all for index classes, no weight restrictions, no tube chassis's in 10.00 and slower, no electronics, pro tree. Lets do it!

I'd like to see it as no timed throttle stops, but some of us are using gasser racing delay boxes to control our transmissions (much cheaper and simpler than standalone transmission controllers).

I agree the 11.90/12.00 classes have worked well so far.

I would think a 13.00 index would be good one for the average person, covers the majority of the trucks out there with basic programmer, intake & exhaust

I don't know about being the most exciting thing to watch, but would be a good filler between the other rounds cause they could probably hot lap if needed.

My introduction to index racing was a 13.50 class many years ago that I raced my daily driver in. It was a ton of fun and got me hooked.

It would be interesting to try these classes at one of the outlaw events this year, and see what the response is!

I would be all for a 13.50 class as my heap will never run faster than that. Also for those who might think about adding weight restrictions, the old 1st gens were never heavier than 6500-6700 pound in a loaded 4x4 W350 ext cab dually. Heck, my heap with a full tank and 100 or so pounds of tools weighed in at 6170 at a pull.

Posted via Velocity LG ALLY

I would think a 13.00 index would be good one for the average person, covers the majority of the trucks out there with basic programmer, intake & exhaust

I don't know about being the most exciting thing to watch, but would be a good filler between the other rounds cause they could probably hot lap if needed.

I would be all for a 13.50 class as my heap will never run faster than that. Also for those who might think about adding weight restrictions, the old 1st gens were never heavier than 6500-6700 pound in a loaded 4x4 W350 ext cab dually. Heck, my heap with a full tank and 100 or so pounds of tools weighed in at 6170 at a pull.

Posted via Velocity LG ALLY

Sportsman ET is for vehicles 13.0 and slower. We don't need more classes.

It would be interesting to try these classes at one of the outlaw events this year, and see what the response is!

Personally, I think it should just be accepted by all "organizations" :poke:

Personally, I think it should just be accepted by all "organizations" :poke:

Considering how many dedicated Pro Stock Diesel trucks & cars are being built right now, there would probably be a few ticked off people if the class suddenly disappeared!

Considering how many dedicated Pro Stock Diesel trucks & cars are being built right now, there would probably be a few ticked off people if the class suddenly disappeared!

Add a 7.50 class for them and leave Top Diesel to the rails :poke: