info on a sqhd

I asked him about a sheet metal rear and he said by the time you support it (gussets) in the necessary areas and fill all the extra room with oil there isn't a big reduction in weight (however your idea of filling the extra space with foam is a good way to reduce oil weight). He said spending the money on the aluminum center would gain you more weight savings.

Anyone know the r&p size differences from a F106, H172, to a SQHD? I assume the H172 is slightly stronger than a F106?

I would go the F106/H172 route if I knew I wouldn't eventually have r&p problems down the road. I may end up putting two or more chargers on this thing down the road and I don't want to have to do the rear twice.

I think I found a H172 with 6.17 gears in it for $500.
This option would run me:
$1250 2 1/16" gun drilled axles
$1800 spool
$1000 aluminum hubs
This is without shopping around for better prices.
$4550

The 172 R&P is a lot stronger then the 106 "BUT" were a 106 R&P will run you $300 to replace the 172 will run you $1400 to replace. The cool thing is if you found a SQHD. Center section you put it into a 172 housing by just changing the ring that the center section bolts to. You could just weld the 172 under the truck then as you get the extra cash you could by the expensive parts and put them on all the while running it. That's what I'm doing