injector balance rate issue

Well now we are getting some place.

Above you said it didn't matter. "Quote" Agreed, injector solenoid wires aren't directional. "Quote"

Furthermore there color code for a reason. Buy all means switch them around on your truck see how long the ECM lasts.

Last edited:
Well i don't think they are wrong because the colors are on the same side of the injectors on 1-4, 2-5, 3-6.

Good

This is what I would suggest to rule out an injector issue.

Swap the known problem child's to a different cylinder, then run the same test and see if your balance rate follows them.

Above you said it didn't matter. "Quote" Agreed, injector solenoid wires aren't directional. "Quote"

Furthermore there color code for a reason. Buy all means switch them around on your truck see how long the ECM lasts.

Yes, and I stand by my statement. ITS A SOLENOID IT DOESNT GIVE A ****. I don't see how you think that would hurt the ecm. Electricity goes in, it comes back out. Doesn't matter if it comes in the top or bottom. Just because you switch wires on the injector it won't magically send hot voltage to the ecm return like a short.

A solenoid doesn't care where power and gnd come from as long as it is the proper voltage. The wires are color coded solely for diag purposes and location.

A solenoid doesn't care where power and gnd come from as long as it is the proper voltage. The wires are color coded solely for diag purposes and location.
Agreed. The solenoids are non polar (I believe that's the term) and it doesn't matter which wire goes to which post. Ever wired up a sprinkler system solenoid? Exact same concept.

Jeebus

http://www.solenoid-valve-info.com/solenoid-valve-coil-polarity.html

You can dead short an injector indefinitely and it will not lessen the potential life of the driver because all modern topography will disable the circuit during pre-checks. A resistive circuit is far more damaging because the circuit has to dissipate energy that would have otherwise been transferred to the armature.

For you don't reverse the wire guys, do these systems use electron or conventional theory?

Also, what some have suggested is exactly right, if the fuel side of your triangle is intact, the spark or the air side is not.

Think about it before you whine to me about the combustion triangle.

Last edited:
swap 2 injectors first,

a compression test to rule out cylinder problems. if its a good test move on to cam/ push rod problems. if its bad go get a bore scope and also inspect valves on that cylinder.

.. i hope i got that in the right order

Yep Todd, was definitely my issue with making oil. Trucks running great but when I checked the balance rate that #6 is still out.

I never go by those balance rates...They are very misleading in most cases, If the truck running good all is well. its impossible for checking the health of Injectors on Ram/ Cummins by balance testing with host.