Injector installation

LDH

Hey guys, I'm replacing the number 3 injector in my 2006 F250 and need to know how to siphon out the cylinder. When removing the old injector I could hear a hissing sound as if the pressure was being relieved in the cylinder or fuel line. I don't know which. It lasted a few seconds and went away. When I looked into the injector bore with a flashlight I saw a small puddle of oil. I tried to soak it up with twisted paper towels, but it reappeared later. I am certain that some of it ran down into the cylinder and am concerned with a hydro lock issue upon starting the engine. Can I reassemble everything after I get the new injector, put the valve cover back on and everything, then remove the number 3 glow plug, bump the key a few times, put the glow plug back in, and be safe to start the truck up? If not, what other options do I have to get the fluid out of the cylinder. Thanks.

Just put the injector in and crank it up. a 6.0 doesn't have hydro lock issues like a 7.3

Hey guys, I'm replacing the number 3 injector in my 2006 F250 and need to know how to siphon out the cylinder. When removing the old injector I could hear a hissing sound as if the pressure was being relieved in the cylinder or fuel line. I don't know which. It lasted a few seconds and went away. When I looked into the injector bore with a flashlight I saw a small puddle of oil. I tried to soak it up with twisted paper towels, but it reappeared later. I am certain that some of it ran down into the cylinder and am concerned with a hydro lock issue upon starting the engine. Can I reassemble everything after I get the new injector, put the valve cover back on and everything, then remove the number 3 glow plug, bump the key a few times, put the glow plug back in, and be safe to start the truck up? If not, what other options do I have to get the fluid out of the cylinder. Thanks.

Suction gun with a tube.

when pulling injectors out...there will be fuel in the rail of the head that will drain down into the cylinder. But all i've done is stick a blow gun in the injector hole and blow it out. Sometimes it'll trickle back in a little but it wont be enough to hydro lock. I usually blow it out a couple times before i put the injector back in. Never had an issue. Main thing is to clean out the injector hold down bolt hole. Make sure that hole is clear and dry of oil. This way you wont get a false torque reading when retorquing the injector and it wont loosen up. I've had injectors loosen up on me before because i didn't clean/blow out the injector holder bolt hole.

I don't have access to air at my house. I'm doing this in the garage. I've already changed the dummy plugs on the passenger side and driver's side, as well as the HPOP STC fitting under the turbo. This is my 2nd time into the passenger side, as I am changing a bad injector now. I've been doing all of my mechanicing with hand tools and don't have air. Is there another way to do it without a siphon gun?

i honestly dont believe you will have any issue's. A little fuel in the cylinder when pulling out the injector shouldn't hydrolock it. But seeing as that you have no air, you could use Q-tips to soak up the oil in the hole for the injector holder bolt hole. I've heard of guys doing this.

Okay. Thanks for all the replies. Why do the 7.3s have issues and not the 6.0s? My guess is the 4 valves per cylinder. I was just curious. Also...would removing the glow plug help as stated before?

you can leave the glow plugs in. there's no need to remove the glow plug to remove and reinstall an injector. you should be good.

Keep telling yourself that when you are taking it apart again.

I have installed hundreds of powerstroke injectors 7.3 and 6.0. never had a 6.0 hydro lock on me yet. 7.3 is another story though. But sucking the cylinder out couldn't hurt anything I guess.

I have installed hundreds of powerstroke injectors 7.3 and 6.0. never had a 6.0 hydro lock on me yet. 7.3 is another story though. But sucking the cylinder out couldn't hurt anything I guess.

If the check valves aren't in the banjo bolts in the front then the secondary filter housing will drain into the cylinder. The 7.3 has oil that drains and fuel that drains into the hole. Even if you drain the oil drains in the 7.3 it still has a higher chance.

If the check valves aren't in the banjo bolts in the front then the secondary filter housing will drain into the cylinder. The 7.3 has oil that drains and fuel that drains into the hole. Even if you drain the oil drains in the 7.3 it still has a higher chance.

I agree if the check valves are out it could drain some fuel, but most trucks still have them in. On every 7.3 I pull the glow plugs, there is always some oil that gets in them.

You guys have me worried now. I didn't think about the fuel draining out of the secondary fuel filter housing down the lines and into the cylinder that i've removed the injector from. It's been sitting out in the garage all evening, probably filling that cylinder up. Am I correct?

Just be safe and use a mighty-vac with a short piece of brake tubing to suck the fluids out if the cylinder then you won't be second guessing yourself.

You guys have me worried now. I didn't think about the fuel draining out of the secondary fuel filter housing down the lines and into the cylinder that i've removed the injector from. It's been sitting out in the garage all evening, probably filling that cylinder up. Am I correct?

I have let me truck sit for a couple of days before i even put the injectors back in with no issues of hydro locking.

I got it in and put back together guys. You were right, no issues with hydro locking. I didn't even try to get the oil/fuel out. I just crossed my fingers. The truck runs so much smoother now and has it's growl back when idling.

next time you change an injector and you are worried about hydro lock, just put the injector in and use a breaker bar and rotate the engine by hand a few times if it dosent stop your ok, thats what i do before i dare try staring it, Ive only had hydro lock prom. on 7.3 never a 6.0 tho. that is because the oil supply is on top of the injector not in the head like the 7.3. so no oil gets in the cly.

Back