Injector Line Leakage

Red Sleeper

Im posting this for a friend of mine. Truck is a 01 Cummins, has some aftermarket injectors but not sure on what size or anything at all. Running the TST PowerMax also. Injector 1,2,&4 (the first set of lines, not sure if my numbers are right) are leaking where the line meets the crosss over tube. We pulled them once and they all had some corosion on them where the two tubes meet. We cleaned them up and I dressed them up with some sand paper. No pits in the mating surfaces that we could see. I did not pull the cross over tubes cause we didnt have the o-rings and I didnt want him to be down for days.... He said today its starting to leak again, same three. Where should we go form here? New set of lines, new tubes? And what would cause this to happen?

I would start by pulling all the lines off, and take the tubes out. Inspect the tubes and install all new o rings. I doubt you will need new lines or tubes.

See thats just what I dont get. Its only the first set of lines... Why would it only be fir front set and not the back set?

I had the connector tubes leaking on my 01 on cylinders 2 5 and 6. We went ahead and replaced all the o-rings. You gotta remember that o-rings aren't meant to last forever. As to why it's those three, call it a strange twist of fate right now and change all the connector tube o-rings. If it still leaks then look into other things.

Could it be the first set of lines are bigger than the second set so its harder to get them sealed? Idk just a thought.

had to replace a few of the tubes on my buddys truck for that same reason. cleaned the corrosion off them but they would never stay sealed for very long

Is the fuel leaking between the nut and the line or is it leaking out of the bottom of the nut? gosh that sounds vulgar! :hehe:

you can take some fine lapping compound and lap the lines to the tube but keep them in order and that should help them seal.

I had the connector tubes leaking on my 01 on cylinders 2 5 and 6. We went ahead and replaced all the o-rings. You gotta remember that o-rings aren't meant to last forever. As to why it's those three, call it a strange twist of fate right now and change all the connector tube o-rings. If it still leaks then look into other things.

We were talking bout just going ahead and replacing the O-rings anyways to rule that out..... Those tubes just pop out with little force right? Never done this before.

Aight. Im sure they are something that wont match up in my o-ring kit...

Thanks Guys and Gals;)

I wouldn't be surprised if that o-ring was in your kit, but you can order them directly from a Cummins dealer. They are not expensive. If you don't have a local Cummins, PM Snedge (Mumau Diesel), and he will get you this right o-rings.

Alright thanks. ITs not my truck so I'll just order them. If thats not the problem I'll be posting back:D

you did tighten the fuel line before you tightened the injector down didnt ya. that will cause a few to leak if you put the injector inplace and try to match up the line and tube.

you did tighten the fuel line before you tightened the injector down didnt ya. that will cause a few to leak if you put the injector inplace and try to match up the line and tube.

I have always tightened up the injector hold down before the line in the head.

Back