Injectors

NyCowboy87

Ok yet another thread about the truck Im building, a p pumped 7.3, obviously I need to get rid of the heui injector and put in a mechanical style. This leaves me with an infinate amount of options. Ive called several shops and asked their opinions and most just want to sell me their product and dont tell me why theirs is considered better for this application. Ive looked into some billet KDEL from Harts, looked at doing a Komatsu injector from Columbus and also looked into doing a 8.3/C series Cummins injector like many others have used. I like the idea of the Komatsu injector because of the long body thus making all fuel line connections above the valve cover, however they are not really tested for this application, one truck has made a couple passes with a set in it.

So for those that have more knowledge than I do with the various injectors avaliable what would you prefer. Im looking for facts such as to why the billet KDEL are the "baddest thing out there" or if the little ol 8.3 injectors perform just as well etc.

I think it comes back to 3 things:

What class is your truck being built for? Obviously this will dictate fuel flow requirements that may rule out some injectors.

What is mechanically possible and what is the easiest to implement?

How much grief are you willing to put up with and/or how long do you want to wait for parts? The knowledge base of the less common injectors may require longer lead times, and you may turn into a guinea pig.

Its being built as a single charger pro stock truck (unlimited single). I would like to use something popular, such as the kdel injectors, but realy dont want to have issues with line leakage under the valve cover. For that reason the komatsu injectors with the long bodies are realy appealing however as I mentioned before they are not proven in this application or widely used outside of some of the super semi engines.

I would try and get a hold of Weston aka "SMOKEM" on here. He will stear you in the right direction.

I machined some parts for a guy a few years ago doing this. He was using the 8.3 injectors. you just need an extention that screws onto the injector to get it outside the valve cover. Along with a bushing for the injector and a hold down plate.

Komatsu builds their own engines? Don't they spec mostly Zexel Pumps and Injectors on someone elses engine? I understood Komatsu uses Valmet engines, Yanmar, Cummins and Dresser (IHC), branded as a Komatsu engine in many applications.

I machined some parts for a guy a few years ago doing this. He was using the 8.3 injectors. you just need an extention that screws onto the injector to get it outside the valve cover. Along with a bushing for the injector and a hold down plate.

Yes, or use a long style nut like hypermax has on their lines. Im just gun shy after hearing about others fuel leaks under the valve covers, most recently Chris Watson's mechanical duramax.

Komatsu builds their own engines? Don't they spec mostly Zexel Pumps and Injectors on someone elses engine? I understood Komatsu uses Valmet engines, Yanmar, Cummins and Dresser (IHC), branded as a Komatsu engine in many applications.

Yes the 125, 140 and 170 series engines are Komatsu. The injection systems are hit or miss, some zexel, some bosch stuff just depends on what engine and what application it was spec'd for. They do use Yanmar and Cummins too just re badging them for the small engines up to the C series Cummins.

I've got wipeout's p-pump set up and a stock rebuilt pump (10 mm plungers). I still need injectors and to fab up lines. My goal is to start with lower HP and build on that. I am considering using 8.3 injectors for my engine. Where could I get tips made with the right spray pattern? Starting out I'm not trying to set the world on fire and keep the project on a smaller budget.

Ambac would be my choice, mack stuff is easy to find they have a ton of nozzle options. An afk 90 s came in the old 12v e8 engines can't recall what the e9 24v used.

Back