Inline tranny filter

Just put a filter with a 25psi bypass on the ute then fitted a gauge, found it has 60 psi in reverse and 27 psi in drive. Is this normal?

That's at idle it ramps up as you accelerate. Not sure if your pressures are normal for drive seems a bit low bit may be what a stock unit runs!?

the filter located in the oil pan is a suction filter in other words its a rock screen. your unable to keep a tight micron rating due to pump cavitation as restriction increases. all heavy duty transmission have a inline filter because its pressure feed and you can get a 20 micron filter. ive installed one on my excursion that's a 20 micron 98% absolute with a 5 psi bypass. I would suggest it.

Do you know what micron rating the stock trans filter is?

Where are you guys getting your filter/filter base with a bypass from? I know BD and dieselsite make the kits but I just need the filter and base.

at the shop i always say there is no such thing as OVER MAINTENANCE,

i never realized the stock "filter" was that open.

every time i drop a pan in a 47/ 48re there is a black film on the sides and bottom. i always document this with pics. when i switch my VB next time i will add a good external filter and note the results.

i cant agree more with the post above about contaminants leaving the converter. yes you have problems on the way but at least you can see it coming if you keep an eye on the filter/ pressure.

another thing i am always seeing...
look at how many of us have had failed governor pressure solenoids in the VB. always with the 1-2 shuttle shift. when you pull the solenoid what do you always see????? metal shavings on the back of the magnet so fine they look like jelly. but they are infact metallic.

the filter located in the oil pan is a suction filter in other words its a rock screen. your unable to keep a tight micron rating due to pump cavitation as restriction increases. all heavy duty transmission have a inline filter because its pressure feed and you can get a 20 micron filter. ive installed one on my excursion that's a 20 micron 98% absolute with a 5 psi bypass. I would suggest it.

For the sake of conversation, the FSM for an 03 48RE indicates that the cooler circuit can see 0-55psig.

if your in-line filter has a bypass at 5psi (or even 25psi), the filter is rendered useless when the cooler circuit pressure ramps up past the crack pressure of the bypass valve in the filter. I see absolutely no benefit to this unless the bypass pressure of the filter is slightly higher than the cooler circuit max pressure.

It is clear that you do not how a by pass works it only opens when the filter can't flow the fluid or gets plug to protect the lube system

For the sake of conversation, the FSM for an 03 48RE indicates that the cooler circuit can see 0-55psig.

if your in-line filter has a bypass at 5psi (or even 25psi), the filter is rendered useless when the cooler circuit pressure ramps up past the crack pressure of the bypass valve in the filter. I see absolutely no benefit to this unless the bypass pressure of the filter is slightly higher than the cooler circuit max pressure.

Ever since I ran a external the fluid has been clean and red! I cut open the filter on the last change after 25k andwas happy with what I found! The pan filter had a little dirt in it but the majority was in the spin on! Best ad on since the 2 micron fuel filter!

It is clear that you do not how a by pass works it only opens when the filter can't flow the fluid or gets plug to protect the lube system

enlighten me.

[edit] - self enlightenment... deltaP across the filter, right? It's not the operating pressure but the actual pressure differential that the valve sees. my bad

Last edited:
The by pass seances pressure on both sides of the filter head.. When the filter develops a restriction a pressure drop across the filter can be measured. so at 5 psi off drop across the filter my bypass will open. The filter head I used is rated at 400psi burst.

Trans inline Filter:

Trans inline Filter:

Converter out pressure as stated could be 55psi~ however I don't know what the flow is at 3500RPM or in a tuned truck 5300RPM~ (nor did I research it) so that 55 psi might turned in to 75psi with a unknown flow. so, with my 5 psi bypass im being extra measures to ensure my transmission survives WHATEVER happen. not to mention. if we've had a major transmission failure where doses the junk go... to the cooler. so when MikMaze brakes his input shaft all the debris is sent through the cooler and if it isn't caught in his cooler it ends up on the bearing surfaces of the main shaft. I want to catch as much as possible. I could of spec the filter head at 20 psi BUT I believe the filter element is big enough that it will flow what is required during a catastrophic even with out going into bypass.

Attachments

• IMAG0110.jpg
    IMAG0110.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20131216_084259_236.jpg
    IMG_20131216_084259_236.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20131216_084338_393.jpg
    IMG_20131216_084338_393.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 0
would it be possible to install a non bypass filter, like the ones used on top of farm fuel tanks on a return line, and just change it frequently enough to not cause restrictions?

would it be possible to install a non bypass filter, like the ones used on top of farm fuel tanks on a return line, and just change it frequently enough to not cause restrictions?

That's a gamble!

Back