installing a detroit blower

cumminspwr11

so i scored a blower off a 6v92 detroit diesel over the weekend and i have been researching but havent been able to find one article about someone installing one on a 5.9 cummins. it seems that people put them on small block chevys and other hot rods but not on diesels.

anyone have input on this? on the original detroit they used a blower/turbo combination with the tv7511 turbo blowing through the top of the blower into the cylinders. i cant see why this wouldnt work on one of our trucks and perform pretty good. the fabrication isnt a big deal for me and i have sourced the new covers and high speed bearings that are needed to run it on the gassers they are fairly inexpensive.

Terribly inefficient blower, not designed to make pressure, just to move air through a 2-stroke diesel

YUP^^^^^ Garbage, but you can search for blower turbo combo's and find a few good write ups!

Not garbage, put it in front of the vintage hot rod guys, surely someone in that crowd will scoop it up for more than it is functionally worth. Take the cash and use it on an M series eaton

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Actually if you rebuild it you can have the lobes Teflon's then you would have something. If you are feeding it with a turbo. Which hopefully you would be. Make sure the blower you're useing has a built in blower bypass. So at the preset pressure the valve opens and unloads the blower and the turbo can blow through it.

Actually if you rebuild it you can have the lobes Teflon's then you would have something. If you are feeding it with a turbo. Which hopefully you would be. Make sure the blower you're useing has a built in blower bypass. So at the preset pressure the valve opens and unloads the blower and the turbo can blow through it.

I wondered what updates could be done to retrofit the old iron(aluminum)

Sent from my Rotten Apple

i was just kicking the idea around since i got the blower for free, yes i would be feeding a larger turbo through the blower like it was originally done on the detroit. however my vgt performs pretty damn good right now so i will probally end up just keeping the vgt in a compound set up

I wondered what updates could be done to retrofit the old iron(aluminum)

Sent from my Rotten Apple

You can hard anodized the inside of the case. And machine the rotor lobes to accept a Teflon strip. Then you're making a positive displacement blower. And the big detroits have unloader valves to let the turbo blow through when it's spooled. Pretty decent setup actually. I also have a couple Detroit blowers but they're 8v71 series. Not 92 series.