Intake heater delete

dieselmania

I recently took my intake heater out and replaced the intake with a home made 3" intake tube. It runs great, when it is running, but having trouble starting, to the point of running the batteries down when it is a little cold, is this the norm? What is a good temp or climate to do away with this intake heater?

i took mine out and it starts ok when cold 17 deg. but i did crank over 5 or 6 times till it started. u may need new batteries.

Mine started without it rough, but fine in 10 degrees. I think your timing injectors and pump have alot to do with the luck you have without it.

Ive noticed that some of those deletes are kind of expensive. Whats the main purpose of taking the heater out?

I don't see how it could flow that much better than stock really. There isn't hardly anythng in it that cld cause a major restriction

Make use of a block heater, works fine for me!

^dont forget the cross-sectional area the gridwork actually takes up - losses are present

Ive noticed that some of those deletes are kind of expensive. Whats the main purpose of taking the heater out?

Just gut your stock one...that is if you don't think you'll ever put it back in. I started my CR at 18 degrees once without letting it heat at all(letingt it cycle killed my batteries, had to make it too the parts store lol) and had no problems, started as if i had.

Yea i thought about that but i may need it one day..not really sure why i would but ya never know. Oh well i might buy one someday. I was just wondering what the reason was to taking it out in the first place

i have had mine out for 2 years now and never had an issue starting the truck. above 20-25 degrees it starts like normal below 20 degree it takes a extra crank or two and idles a little rough for 30-60 seconds. i haven't tried starting it in any temp of -10 or below. i never plugged my truck in this winter either.
i don't have a grid heater delete though i had hellman build me an intake that bolts directly to the intake plate and eliminated the grid heater all together.

looks like a bit of a difference to me.......
gridheaters003.jpg

gridheaters005.jpg

goodgridheaterdeletes001.jpg

goodgridheaterdeletes006.jpg

I got rid of my grids because they started to malfunction. I have left the truck out of my garage overnight in the 10 degree temperaturs we just experienced this past winter and it fired right up with about 10-15 seconds of cranking, ran a little rough for about 20 seconds, then ran normal. This all with not having plugged the truck in. IMHO if they act up remove them and don't spend a dime fixing them.