Intake Manifold Design

I'm sorry to all of you legit guys on here. Please don't take this the wrong way. I'm not pious or prideful or thinking I'm better than anyone... but I think I'm out of here. Overall I find this specific forum (and I'm on a LOT of different forums) so full of crap talkers that real info is rare (seems like every useful thread gets mucked up by two keyboard racers)...besides my latest diesel intake project with Zach (who is no longer a sponsor?) is complete sans testing so until I build a turbo diesel scooter for my wife, I no longer have any vested interest in diesels, unfortunately. As a gasser, I am enamored with the diesels. No TB and the block being the limit for boost? Crazy high compression ratios??? I freakin' love it! Ahhhh well. If any of you are local to Austin Texas and need some fab work done, I may be able to help. chad.kassem@fringexvo.com.

well said!

Seeker, whats your view on material thickness of the manifold parts? Anything particular? Do the runners vary from a plenum?

Critique away.

[ame="http://s1013.photobucket.com/user/FEGiant/media/24valveintakedraft_zpse706f19b.jpg.html"]24valveintakedraft_zpse706f19b.jpg Photo by FEGiant | Photobucket[/ame]

Application: 24V Cummins 5.9L 3,500 - 5,000rpm

Last edited:
Just a thought, but it ain't nothing to kick that p-pump out a bit. Just rotate it a few degrees until you get enough room to do what you will with the intake and then drill and tap new holes for the pump mounts. You will not lose any power by moving the pump, but you will gain more power from a better intake shape. :)

I looked at this some time ago but could not find any answers - how far can a pump be tipped before oil causes issues internally with the governor etc, and drainback?

Never even crossed my mind Texas, good additional thought. Seeker, thank you for posting your thought as well pertaining to pump operation. I was thinking of the initial bend coming from the head will be IMO 30 degrees + or -, then add further angle to finish clearing the Ppmp. I guess if there is enough swoop you can have majority of the runners to the driver of the engine and avoid major hood alterations and have a nice gradual shape.

Its interesting that Cummins used a single port per valve at the very end on each end much like Duramax is. However the Dmax is not siamesed at the runners towards the center of the head. How much is that changing the flow characteristics, regardless of the direction the wave is traveling; at least our flow reacts in better way to a shrinking CSA as flow progresses rather than just turning ugly if it were flowing into a larger CSA moving towards the cylinder before the valve.

Small piece from Smith & Morrison Scientific Design of Exhaust and Intake Systems

Page 53 Effects of pressure and temperature
...for any particular gas, it follows that the velocity of sound in a gas is independent of the pressure if the temperature remains constant and that it is also proportional to the square root of its absolute temperature...

I am not exactly sure about what specific heats off the top of my head, but, just some more for chewing on, certainly twisting my brain cells a little.

I have began to think 6 runners won't be feeding 7 runners enough unless one runner is enlarged. (leave partial casting for end) I think I may have to remove one runner and branch off a couple at each end. Hmm wonder what will that do to wave tuning with the adjacent runner if connected directly to the runner.

If a runner is joined to another, would that entail its more pressure feeding the cylinder rather than being tuned in wave? If we connect it in a certain place, would the wave tune, if timed inccorrectly, change behavior and actually hinder flow?

I'm just curious if all this runner and tank planning and design is going to make it into a final product or just going to be an enginerd discussion? :) The enginerd chatter is interesting to me (being an engineer) but just wonder whats to come of it all.

I am not sure about others but I plan on sending my final drawing to spec of this current piece to a friend to build for his truck then I will be moving onto another manifold myself for a larger cubed puller.

I have been locating materials and a machine shop that can do what I need to get done when needed. Once I am in gear to weld and bend etc I will be making usable prototypes to test with a friend.

Hopefully my hard work will become horsepower that will be competitive on the track regardles, if its pulling or drag racing etc.

The variable runner is a kool idea, myself, I havent incorporated that into a design yet. Texas, I am assuming you are the other half of Hamilton cams?

Whats your view on a intercooler (A2W) manifold? I think the water passages themselves will hinder flow that are placed in the plenum, that is, if they are positioned on the wrong side of the plenum.

Texas - my own intake that is under construction is not too different than what you have built other than I am single turbo, and mine lays right on the valve cover

It is interesting how after years and years of same ol same ol, several minds seem to come up with very similar ideas in advancements, all at the same time

Here is a name to look up for indepth detail for anyone who is wondering, Gordan P. Blair.

Seeker whats your view as far as the positioning of the cooling passages in the plenum allowing non-hindered flow as well as possible wave cancellation of the waves inside the plenum to not interfere with the wave traveling in our induction duct?

For the guys/gals who run 7.3ls. I am not sure if this manifold is still used on the early powerstrokes or not.
[ame="http://s1013.photobucket.com/user/FEGiant/media/73Lintake5_zps6b0b991e.jpg.html"]73Lintake5_zps6b0b991e.jpg Photo by FEGiant | Photobucket[/ame]

[ame="http://s1013.photobucket.com/user/FEGiant/media/46456eaa-843e-4ab2-b5ee-d1847506bf98_zps442ed66a.jpg.html"]46456eaa-843e-4ab2-b5ee-d1847506bf98_zps442ed66a.jpg Photo by FEGiant | Photobucket[/ame]

[ame="http://s1013.photobucket.com/user/FEGiant/media/73Lintake4_zps365a98f6.jpg.html"]73Lintake4_zps365a98f6.jpg Photo by FEGiant | Photobucket[/ame]

This discussion has sure been interesting, might have to get a side intake when I drop a new head on my truck.

Back