Intercoolers in cab-bad idea?

Definitely not a good idea to have that stuff in the cab. Rapid depressurization and shrapnel of a box inside of a slightly larger box that you are sitting in is not a winning combination. If protected correctly probably not a huge problem but we all know how that goes. However, you would not be hurting anyone else other than the driver so that is then on that person.

It the same thing as having batteries and full cells in the cab

So am I the only guy that has blown one in the cab? I feel special.
I was only running 120psi so it wasnt that loud.

only if it explodes :D

I blew one up in a car and it did some damage at barely 30psi, I wouldnt wanna be around one letting go at 100+ psi

Last edited:
holy chit its jeff gordon, I didnt know nascar had intercoolers, much less running ones having 120#s of boost haha.

How was it? What was your biggest reason for putting it in the cab?

Why did I put it there?? Well I got it used from a super farm tractor and it wouldn't fit under the hood. It just fit between the front seats.

I was lucky and it didn't blow like a bomb, but unzipped a weld relitavely slowly and wasnt that loud. In hindsight it might not have been a good idea to have my leg resting against it.

But fortunately, my dodge cab doest seal so it didn't blow the windows out.

So in farness the car had valve train issues over pressurizing the cooler but still..... Street Legal TV : NMCA 08 GA - Comp Cams Wild Ride of The Event

Cooler blankets woulld be safe Guy on Yellow bullet sells them....PT3000 Intercooler blankets ready to ship. - Yellow Bullet Forums

2010-12-14142603.jpg

2010-12-14142540.jpg

2010-12-14142526.jpg

I have thought about doing this, but basically building a box around the intercooler and opening up the floor of the cab directly below the intercooler so if it did blow then it would all be vented down.

Although I guess in that situation it would not be "in-cab".

So am I the only guy that has blown one in the cab? I feel special.
I was only running 120psi so it wasnt that loud.

:soap: I beg to differ :bang because it happened right in front of my truck @ SDX....damn near knocked my outta my truck bed and you were in the far lane from us! LOL :hehe: