Intercooling the secondary? Pics?

jkidd_39

I was planning on running an a/w intercooler after my a/a intercooler into my plenum.

After doing some research I stumbled upon the idea of using my a/a to cool the charger from my secondary into my primary.

My twins are going to be on a 24v CR in an 05 F-350. The A/W will fit perfectly in place of my driver side battery and piping will be a 90 out up my a/a into the a/w into the plenum.

The idea of an a/w on my secondary sounds like it would be a better use of the ice water mix at the track.

Anyone got any pics of such a set up?

The other option I have it to use my a/a IC on my secondary and run my IC backwards and then my a/w before the plenum.

Also, I plan on keeping my a/c so space on the passenger side is pretty tight.

Thanks guys!!

Andrew

I may have read this wrong but I believe you have your terminology off. If you are cooling between stages, you are cooling the air coming off of the primary(atmosphere) charger. I am dong this on my new setup for this year, but am not cooling the final stage. going to see how it works and go from there.

Ooops! you are correct sir! I would like to cool from primary to secondary.

you are on a great theory here. w/a between the stages then a/a into the motor would be your best overall combo for competition and street imo

I would like air to air in between primary and secondary. Then air to air into the motor.

Worth it? Or no?

intercooling anywhere you can get it is worth it..

Ditto. The problem is finding a cooler that flows enough without being very large or very restrictive. Thats way A/W would be better for the inter-stage cooling. A/W cores tend to be less restrictive than an A/A core, occupy far less space and don't interrupt or heat airflow going over the main intercooler.

An idea for both being A/A is to have the inter-stage cooler be a top-mount in the hood, leaving the main cooler in the stock location for good engine-fan cooling flow.

If you want to really get the most out of the total system, you need to have the twins up and running to know what pressure ratios are being run, so that you know where the heat is being generated and therefore which intercooler best fits the task at hand.

Most folks run with the assumption that the pressure ratios are balanced between stages and that both compressors and turbines are somewhat similar in efficiencies. That's not always how it works out in practice.

So while any intercooling is likely better than none, if you really want to figure out how to do it best, you need to get the system up and running and put thermocouples and pressure guages after each charger so you have an idea of where to steer things.

There's some good reasons the W/A may work its best when placed right before the intake manifold, if you're in a competition setup with icewater.

Thanks guys!! This is some great info. My main issue at this time is space. I guess I will stick with the a/w after the a/a feeding into the intake manifold until I can get some data logged and see how my chargers work.

Another question that popped into my head. The need for inter oolong between stages sounds to me like a way to fix a pressure ratio issue. Is that how some use it? Instead of changing you turbo set up bandaiding it with an intercooler??

Thanks alot for all the help! I owe you all a beer at ts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while pulling a 36ft gooseneck and not paying attention to the road.

The need for inter oolong between stages sounds to me like a way to fix a pressure ratio issue. Is that how some use it? Instead of changing you turbo set up bandaiding it with an intercooler??

Intercooling will increase density and reduce the need for pressure to flow the same mass of air that aftercooling alone would. That will allow you to run a lower pressure ratio on both stages while producing the same bhp; more power into the driveline instead of wasted creating exhaust pressure.

Another benefit is you're reducing the heat put into the secondary turbo's compressor wheel, reducing the risk of wheel failure at high load.

Last edited:
CIMG0060-1.jpg

218838_55_full.jpg

I'm sure they aren't his smith. one because there are certain bling parts missing in the pics since the last time I saw it and I think hell would freeze over before you get a picture of wilburs engine compartment

Is one of those yours? If so can you tell us a little about it?

I know your super secertive about your stuff.

None of those trucks are mine. The top pic did 1100-1200 hp on fuel only, and was/is the highest fuel only Common Rail. Big turbo was in the S 500 family

I'm sure they aren't his smith. one because there are certain bling parts missing in the pics since the last time I saw it and I think hell would freeze over before you get a picture of wilburs engine compartment
I should have known better.

Damn he made that a "nice looking mess" Two much going on I will keep my heat.