Is a 2007 5.9 a good choice for 1000 HP build ?

Mazak

Been thinking about building a truck and was wanting to know which year would be a good year to start one with.

I was wanting a street/strip truck with an automatic and 4x4.

I am thinking an 07 5.9 because of the 48RE rather than going to a 6.7 and having to do a trans swap.

Also because you can use EFI live.

In addition it would have upgraded creature features as compared to previous years.

Are the pros mentioned above correct ?

Is there a better year to start with from a mechanical standpoint ?

Interested also......wondering if there are any benefits over an 05 common rail

All the cool kids are doing 6.7's.

Displacement helps a ton for street strip.

You're going to seriously need to think about connecting rods, rings, and pistons. Hell, rings on a stock engine!

I wouldn't do an 05 CR unless you already have one sitting in the shop. Just my $0.02 It's a great truck, just temperamental with the wires and a few other things that were addressed in 06.

06-07.5 is a good platform but the seats are not comfortable. CAN-BUS, 48re, lots of parts available. Can probably buy a good built truck from someone here and be well ahead of the curve. Just what I've noticed.

06-07.5 is a good platform put in a 6.7 with the 5.9 wiring and electronics and EFI,
built 48RE and your golden! Rods, coated pistons and 625 head studs to keep it all together!

I like the 03-05s, if you cant tell... You are on the right track though, I just dont like the 06+ interiors.

You could make 1000hp out of a 5.9, you'll just have an easier time doing it with a 6.7 and 5.9 electronics like others have mentioned.

6.7 bottom end especially if you're wanting to run a larger single

Thanks for the information. Will be looking for a 06/07 donor truck with 5.9 to swap in a 6.7.

Looks like industrial injection sells built 6.7 motors for about $17k.

I assume all 06 automatics with a cummins have a 48re from the factory ?

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. Will be looking for a 06/07 donor truck with 5.9 to swap in a 6.7.

Looks like industrial injection sells built 6.7 motors for about $17k.

You're in Ohio. Look at D&J Precision Machine, out of Cambridge.

2 question.

Will the 48re in a 06 bolt directly to the 6.7 bottom in when swapping ?

Is a 5.9 head or 6.7 head preferred on the 6.7 bottom ?

You will get mixed opinions there....

People will say to keep a 6.7 head on the 6.7 block to take advantage of the steam ports. You can run a 5.9 head on the 6.7 block though, just make sure you have the correct head gasket, otherwise you're in for a world of trouble.

OP doesn't even want to fool with a trans swap, yet so many of y'all think convincing him to go straight into a 6.7 swap, is good advice. Have I missed something here?

OP doesn't even want to fool with a trans swap, yet so many of y'all think convincing him to go straight into a 6.7 swap, is good advice. Have I missed something here?

Good point. Maybe sticking with a 6.7 and doing the 48RE swap is the better option. I did not know the 6.7 was easier to get the bigger HP. I am getting educated .

This now Leads me to another question.

Is there a better year for going with the 6.7 platform and doing the 48re swap ?

Back