Is a 2007 5.9 a good choice for 1000 HP build ?

Good point. Maybe sticking with a 6.7 and doing the 48RE swap is the better option. I did not know the 6.7 was easier to get the bigger HP. I am getting educated .

This now Leads me to another question.

Is there a better year for going with the 6.7 platform and doing the 48re swap ?

I wouldn't necessarily say easier. Drivability might be a touch better with a 6.7, but either way will require about the same effort to make power.

06-07 with compound turbos would be my pick if i was going for 1k hp and good drivability.

I'd say a lot of this has to do with budget and would put a vote towards a 06-07 5.9 with a 48

So the goal is a 1000hp street/strip truck... I have made 1000hp, with the 03-05's, the 06-07.5, the 07.5 - 09, and the 10-12. Have not tried with the 13+ so I can't comment on that. Each of those generations pose their own advantages and disadvantages.

The 03-05 trucks are typically lighter, with lots of performance parts available. Custom tuning is pretty much limited to UDC Pro, and HPtuners. Both are capable platforms, so nothing to be scared of there. Some of the very early 03's had 47re's instead of the 48.

The 06-07 have CAN bus which adds EFI live tuning to the UDC Pro and HPtuners. The one thing I dislike with these truck, especially the 06's is the TIPM. Those can be a pain. I would be cautious buying one of these trucks in a rusty environment.

The 07.5 - 09's got a bad rep because it was a long time before someone was able to full fuel to 5000+ rpm. This can now be done with either UDC Pro,Warp, or modifying a bin file with EFI Live. I have not tried it with HP Tuners, so I do not know if it's possible or not. They do have the 68 trans in them, which is not my choice for the strip. There are a lot of internal transmission upgrades now available, and well as improvements in the transmission tuning. Such as the L/R sprag bypass tuning. UDCPro, Warp, and HPTuners support that directly now.

It's hard to argue with the no substitute for displacement argument, but for 1000hp it's not required.

Also if you truly have a 1000hp truck you will need the required safety equipment to run in the 10's.

I hope this helps...
Paul

Back