is it worth re-torquing the stock bolts? or get studs

7inchstack

diesel dork
i just put my A5K on my CR last week and well am seeing higher boost levels. on TNT5 i could hit 50 psi, anyways i dont have money for studs right now, so would it be worth re-torquing the stock head bolts (or would i not gain anything?) or just turn the smarty down until i can afford studs.

Retorquing in the right order to 135lbs should hold what you have.

^^Ditto^^

Pull each bolt, ONE AT A TIME...Start in the middle and work your way out in a circle motion...

So, one at a time... Pull it...Lube it... Retorque to 100 ft. lbs.

Once they've all been done and back to 100

Start taking them up in 5 lb incriments... Same Order..start in the middle and work yourway out.

I took mine to 145 on my motor I just swapped in...

Good luck

I held 90 psi eith a stock gasket and bolts at 135,when I was running the hx 60 single + giggle juice.

i ran the same turbo,it took a bit to get it going but it would hit 52ish...

I bet it was a laggy joker haha. Is it safe reusing the stock head bolts or start over with a set of brand new non stretched head bolts?

Thanks guys im gonna do it today. And it lights fairly quick actually when I first put it on I had it on TNT7 and let out when I looked over and saw 58 psi ?. Do I need to warm the motor up in between torquing's? Or? I'm gettin a 38mm external gate soon so I'll be able to let out some unwanted pressure.

I'll get a video of it when I'm done the turbo makes around 5 psi just cruising and lights around 1900. It spools faster on my CR then it did on my 12v by a lot

What a/r is your A5k and is it a T3 or T4? I'm shocked your getting a large single with 40" tires haha. My billet 66/74/.91 T4 makes around 3 pounds of boost cruising.

Not to hijack this thread but does the same principals apply to a 6.7 and stock head bolts?

im actually on 37's now lol and its a .80 a/r T3. i had been running it on my 12v and just got a new turbo on it so figured id see how the A5K ran on my CR i like it it really isnt laggy at all 1900-2100 it takes off depending on what gear im in.

I have never touched my head bolts, with 249,000 on the motor. I have a silver 66 and it has seen 50 to 58psi almost daily for 5yrs. Is this lucky Or should I mess with the head bolts? (I alway rub this in to my 2 buddys with D-max) they had that green stuff spraying out of there motors after upgrades and higher boost.:)

ive always taken stock bolts to 150lbs. if you get studs, 425s hold anything you need. 625s are a complete waste of money because a 425 will rip the block apart before they break. idk why everyone spends the extra money on 625s

idk why everyone spends the extra money on 625s

I guess we're the "Obama's" or the diesel world...We just like to spend money!! :bang

Ever heard of "I'd rather have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it" ?