is the ecm needed in pulling truck

gray ghost

we are building a 97 12v 2.6 pulling truck. Is the pcm still going to be necessary? If so what will it be controlling? Thanks for any and all info

If you left it in the truck and still used the ignition switch, you could still use the factory dash. I'm thinking you will run a datalogger, so the stock dash will be removed and you will also eliminate the ignition switch. Install a toggle switch for on/off power and install a push button starter.

i meant to ask about the ecm.

The dash has been removed and a push button switch has been installed for starting. Is there any need to reinstall the ecm?

the '97 does not have an ECM, just the PCM.

I'm no expert, but I've got a 97 auto and there's two boxes on the firewall. I thought one was PCM and one was ECM. I assumed ECM meant electric control module, not engine, and controlled all the luxuries of the truck (luxuries... ha). And then the PCM does trans control, and alternator (three phase to DC).

The short answer is no, it's not needed for your application.
There is no reason to retain it that can't be changed to compensate.
The PCM monitors engine speed, and thus controls tach output and alternator output. The alt can be put an an external regulator to force it to charge. The tach can be replaced with a higher spectrum aftermarket unit.

Obviously you lose any user feedback it provided to the dash. Temp, pressures, so on.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

I'm curious about the spare module on the 97? 4 wheel abs?

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

There is only one control module listed in the service manual that is located on the fire wall and that is the PCM. The only other control module listed as being in the engine compartment is the DRL module, which I believe was only on Canadian models, located on the left inner fender.

Transmission functions, gauges, charging, and A/C are controlled by the PCM. Since there are no electronic engine functions, there is no ECM until they came out with the VP pump in '98.